I-Link vs USB? Sony DCR-HC32E

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by Nodge, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. Nodge

    Nodge Guest

    I hope to be buying my first mini dv camcorder soon. I have to admit to
    being more than a little confused by all the different specs and features
    but the Sony DCR-HC32E is currently at the top of my list.

    One of the things I want to do is to write the videos to a dvd via my PC. I
    dont have a Firewire card in my PC but I've heard that this is the standard
    way for the camcorder to communicate with the PC and that Sony call Firewire
    I-Link. I do have USB2 though and Sony say that the DCR-HC32E has "Advanced
    USB streaming (video cd burning)". Is this just another way of achieving
    the same thing (ie transferring the video file from the camera to the
    computer) or is it doing something different? - the term video CD burning is
    confusing me (why video cd as opposed to DVD?)

    I do have a Hauppage TV card installed which has a A/V in and allows me to
    capture video. Would this give as good a result as fitting a Firewire card?

    I've also seen shops list the model as a DCR-HC32 (without the E on the
    end). Is this the same camera or is it a different model. If so, what's the

    Finally, can anyone recommend this camera or possibly suggest an alternative
    I should consider?

    Nodge, Jul 31, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Nodge

    marks542004 Guest

    The usb option for download is often for still pictures and lower
    resolution video. (vcd - 320 x 240)

    For full screen video you need the firewire port. These are fairly
    cheap to buy as an add-on but you will need a free slot in your pc.

    Your TV card may have a video in port but is likely to be composite
    video and will not give the same quality as a straight digital
    marks542004, Aug 1, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Nodge

    yeltz Guest

    The "E" indicates that the camera is a PAL model. PAL is used in
    Europe, Australia and New Zealand. NTSC is used in the USA, Canada and
    yeltz, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Nodge

    Nodge Guest

    Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated.


    Nodge, Aug 1, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.