image stabilization

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by mo, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. mo

    mo Guest

    Does anyone know if the Nikon d70 has any kind of image stabilization or
    vibration reduction? I am just short of buying this camera and I'm really
    inexperienced. That is my price range. In your opinion, is there anything
    better for the same price? Mo
    mo, Jun 17, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. mo

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    In the Nikon line, the image stabilization (which Nikon calls VR
    (Vibration Reduction)) is in the lenses (as it is with Cannon).
    Unfortunately, the lenses with this feature tend to cost more than the
    camera body does. (At least the 70-200mm f2.8 with VR does -- I haven't
    really looked at shorter lenses with this feature.) But the feature
    *is* available for the D70, if you have the money for the right lenses.

    Do you need it for *all* lenses? (E.g. do you have Parkinson's
    or some other reason why you can't hold the camera reasonably steady
    under most circumstances?) If you do not have that problem, you can get
    the short focal length lenses without the feature, and the longer lenses
    with it. (Though a tripod is a lot cheaper for most situations.)
    If you *must* have VR, that is going to take the camera out of
    your price range, I fear. The 70-200mm f2.8 VR has a price tag of
    somewhere around $1500.00 IIRC -- which is why *I* don't have one yet. :)

    One of the active members of this newsgroup uses a KM
    (Konica-Minolta, IIRC) which has the VR function (whatever *they* call
    it, as I suspect that both IS and VR are copyrighted terms now) built
    into the sensor, not the lenses. This means that *any* lens which fits
    the camera is a VR lens. This means that you pay a bit more for the
    camera body, but the lenses are less expensive (than ones with the VR
    built in, at least.) I'm not sure how the price balance comes out.

    My own personal preference goes with the Nikon cameras, and I
    have a D70 (and would *love* to have a D2X. :) So -- I don't know how
    the sum of camera body and lens costs comes out for a K-M equivalent to
    a D70 with the 70-200mm high-dollar lens.

    Good Luck,
    DoN. Nichols, Jun 17, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. mo

    Alan Browne Guest

    You can't get something for nothing. You can buy the D70 and a few
    len$e$ that have VR; or you can buy the Maxxum 7D for more money and get
    the bennefit of Anti-shake with all lenses.

    Alan Browne, Jun 17, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.