Increasing Colours in a Shot

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by Andrew McCall, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Hi Folks,

    I have decided I want to take some pictures on the sea front near where
    I live. I know exactly how I want the shot to look, and hopefully I will
    be able to find a spot that matches the image I have in mind.

    I want to take two types of shot to see how they work out, the first I
    want to increase the brown and greens to give the shot a warmish almost
    fantasy feeling to it. I was going to use a green filter with Velvia 50
    on a slow shutter speed and a high f-stop.

    I am not too sure if a warm sea front shot will look right in the UK, so
    the second shot I want to reduce most of the colours except blue. I
    have looked around, but I can't find out how I would reduce the levels
    of an image during the shot, I know how I can do it with PhotoShop, but
    I wanted to get the desired effect when I took the picture, not
    afterwards. Any ideas?

    I was planning to use a polarizer on both shots to give some
    dramatisation to clouds, and I also have a UV filter on the lens. Will
    I get problems adding a colour filter on top of these on a 28mm lens? I
    read somewhere about getting dark areas around the corners of the frame
    when too may filters have been used. Will I get this problem?


    Andrew McCall
    Andrew McCall, Jan 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Andrew McCall

    Jim Waggener Guest

    I had good luck using a 81A and setting the ISO to 40 using Velvia for a
    beach shot.
    Jim Waggener, Jan 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. You don't say what kind of filter you have in mind. If you use a green
    "contrast" filter (the kind used for B&W photography) then the result
    will be fairly awful. You might get a useful result if you use what's
    known as a colour correction (CC) filter; these are fairly pale, come in
    various strengths, and are intended for correcting the colour balance of
    colour transparency film. I still doubt if it will give the effect you
    intend, but you might have some fun finding out. I really don't think a
    green filter is what you want.

    If you want to warm the scene, then you should try a warming filter.
    These are basically amber filters and come in various strengths: 81A,
    81B, 81C, 81D and 81EF (increasing strength). I find that for normal
    landscapes they give a green tinge to blue sky which I don't like, but
    if you can avoid too much sky it might work for you. (These filters are
    called colour balancing filters, and are designed to correct small
    mismatches between the colour temperature of the light and the colour
    temperature for which the film is designed. There is another series, the
    85 series, for correcting major mismatches; the effect of these is, as
    you would expect, much stronger.)

    Another suggestion is to try an enhancing filter. A red enhancer will
    make anything with a significant amount of red in it stand out, and
    generally warm the picture, though again blue sky can be a problem
    (magenta this time). There is also a green enhancer, though I have never
    tried this.
    For this, try a filter from the blue 82 series of colour balancing
    filters, or even the stronger 80 series of colour correction filters.
    (1) You don't need a UV filter with a polariser - or pretty well any
    other filter either.

    (2) Using even two circular filters on a 28mm lens is pretty well
    guaranteed to cause vignetting. Three is a cast-iron certainty. The best
    solution for using several filters is one of the rectangular filter
    holders, Cokin P, Hi-Tech or Lee. I use the latter, which is a
    fantastically versatile and high quality system (it's a standard in the
    movie business AIUI), but not cheap. BTW, these makers also produce
    effect filters in various brown colours, which may also suit your needs.
    The Lee catalogue is very useful, and I'm sure the others are too but I
    don't have them.

    (3) You can get "warm polarisers" which combine the effects of a
    polariser and an 81 series warming filter. I don't know of a UK source
    but they are available in the US. You would loose the flexibility of
    trying several different 81 or 85 series filters though.

    Finally, I suggest you look for a good book on the subject. Try Lee
    Frost's "The Photographer's Guide to Filters", ISBN 0 7153 1233 2.
    David Littlewood, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Andrew McCall

    Bandicoot Guest

    [Good stuff Snipped]
    Speedgraphic, in the UK, sells the Moose Peterson warm polariser, which is
    make by Kenko (a brand name of Hoya). B+W also makes a warm polariser - I
    have a couple and they are very good, though I do usually prefer to use a
    'plain' pol. and a separate warming filter (if any warm-up is needed.) I
    think Singh Ray also makes them. I'm pretty sure Jessops as the B+W ones
    (though they may be special order).

    The B+W ones are the only ones I've used myself - they're good if you want
    the effect in a single filter, and they counteract the coldness that a pol.
    can introduce in very clear air.

    Bandicoot, Jan 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.