Info needed for 2 kinds of software

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by Wondering_1, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. Wondering_1

    Wondering_1 Guest

    Can anyone tell me which software does the following:

    1. Still image, appearing in 3-D, as the foreground moves at a different
    speed than the background when panning, of the foreground zooms in as the
    background remains still. Somehow, the foreground has been lifted from the
    image, slightly magnified to cover the original, then animated... I think
    it's soo cool, but haven't been able to find out how.

    2. Video images where everything is black and white except some roses that
    are is the color turned off selectively?

    3. While reseraching camera stabilizers, I found this demo link...I like the
    song, but not what it's from...sounds like closing credits of a movie:

    Anyone know what the song is?

    Thanks in advance.
    Wondering_1, Jan 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. I've seen it done two ways...
    a) Zoom the camera lens while moving the camera so that
    the background remains "constant" while the foreground
    object grows larger. This is tricky to get just right and
    there is a name for it which excapes me. ("regrograde zoom"
    or something?)

    b) I've seen some archival photos (old black & white stills
    from some news archive) where they used Photoshop, etc.
    to cut out the foreground image, and impose it onto a
    separate background. By moving the foreground and back-
    ground at different rates, you get a 3D effect. The tricky
    part of this is to get a continuous background image
    because of course it is missing in the original where the
    foreground object occludes it. Sometimes it may be
    "recreated" by an artist, or maybe they select a similar
    whole image and substitute it for the original background(?)
    The trick here is the either incredibly tedious handtracing
    of each frame (to separate the color part from the mono-
    chrome part), or some very specialized (and expensive)
    software which automatically tracks the selected objects.

    What you need is called a "traveling matte" which is
    used to mask the color or monochrome part of the picture.
    It is a simple "silhouette" of the color object, but a different
    one *for each frame of video/film*.
    Richard Crowley, Jan 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Wondering_1

    Mike Kujbida Guest

    Sorry but I can't help you out on the song.

    Sony's Vegas will do both 1 & 2 very easily.
    More info and a link to a free trial at
    For a look at doing #1, check out the newsletter at
    For #2, check out,

    Mike Kujbida, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Wondering_1

    Specs Guest

    I don't think he was asking about a "trombone". I think you are on the
    right track with b) below.
    Quite correct. What a lot of people overlook with these 3D still image pans
    is that the layers do not have to be from the same image. In fact most of
    the examples with dramatic virtual camera moves are nothing more than
    composite pictures. Filling in the gap left in the background when a
    foreground object is removed can be done quite easily with Photoshop or
    combustion's Clone Brush. It tends to get quite difficult when the
    foreground object is quite large or the background is busy hence the use of
    "fake" or composited backgrounds. Call it a trick of the trade or even
    pulling the wool over the viewer's eyes if you like....
    Another way to achieve this at least in Avid which I use is detailed on this
    web-site. It works very well and can be modified for other NLE users.

    Alternatively ensure your NLE has good secondary colour correction tools
    (unlike Avid Xpress Pro!!!) and the Pleasantville effect is a doddle...

    Hope that helps
    Specs, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Wondering_1

    PTRAVEL Guest

    It's not hard, but takes some time. Start with a still image. In a still
    image editing program, e.g. Photoshop, separate the foreground image from
    the background by selectively deleting the background (Photoshop has a
    number of tools that can do this). Make sure that you're working with a
    TIFF file, or other format that supports alpha channel.

    Take a second copy of the same photograph, and use the clone tool or healing
    brush to copyright the background around the inner periphery of the
    foreground object that you've just isolated.

    Save both copies (making sure that the isolated foreground is saved _with_
    alpha channel), and then import as stills into a video editing program (I
    use Adobe Premiere Pro).

    Position the two copies on the timeline, one on top of the other, such that
    the isolated foreground still is composited over the extended background
    still. Using the appropriate tools in your editor (in Premiere Pro, it is
    motion and scale), enlarge slightly the isolated foreground. You can now
    animate the isolated foreground by moving it over the extended background.
    To give a greater sense of separation, add a drop shadow to the isolated

    You need a video editor with a color pass filter. There's a nice tutorial
    on doing this at:
    Can't help you there.
    PTRAVEL, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Wondering_1

    Rôgêr Guest

    The first time I saw that technique done right it blew me away. It was
    in the original Jaws, when Sheriff Brody was sitting on the beach and
    realized that there was a shark threat in the water with all the
    swimmers. He stayed pretty much the same size in the frame but the
    background shrank back away from him.

    Years before that I saw a shoestring budget student film about some
    bikers. They shot a scene from the back of a pickup and the biker would
    accelerate toward them while they zoomed to wide angle. It was pretty weird.
    Rôgêr, Jan 14, 2006
  7. It is quite often called the Vertigo-effect or Hitchcock, as it was used
    the first time by Hitchcock in the movie Vertigo.


    Martin Heffels, Jan 14, 2006
  8. The "Hitchcock vertigo zoom" was used more than once in "Jaws": it is
    used again when Brody is at the back of the boat chumming, and "Brucie"
    appears. Shieder then gives one of many memorable lines form that film:
    "you're going to need a bigger boat".

    Jaws is definitely a movie that was "saved" in the editing. Not that
    there weren't some awesome acting performances, but the edit was what
    took it all to the next level.
    nobody special, Jan 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.