Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vscollage

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras' started by Danny D., Apr 14, 2013.

  1. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    I looked up the difference between montage and collage
    and was confused by the results.

    In (Am) English, is there any difference, today, between
    the use of montage vs collage?

    Here, for example, is one confusing explanation:

    Yet, this one really confuses me:

    But here's one that discerns between the two by media:

    Does anyone really know what the difference is between montage & collage?
    Danny D., Apr 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

  2. Danny D.

    me Guest

    The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
    Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
    add the word mosaic to your conundrum.
    me, Apr 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

  3. Danny D.

    Savageduck Guest

    All of the above are correct. Basically a collage is a type, or subset
    of a montage.

    A montage is an arrangement of various elements of a work on the
    background, or support field, that could be paper, canvas, a wall,
    film, etc.. A typical "Photo-montage" would be to take several whole
    photographs, say 6, or 8 (those are of course just random numbers) and
    arrange them randomly on a background surface.
    Here is a 12 shot photo-montage;
    A collage is such an arrangement of elements which are typically
    fragments of other whole pieces. The most common type of collage is
    where images are cut from whole pictures, photographs, newspaper
    clippings, magazines, print advertisements, and other sources. They are
    then pasted to chosen background surface to create the finished collage.
    This would be described as a collage. It is a method of creating that
    sub-set of the montage:
    Savageduck, Apr 14, 2013
  4. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
    was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
    recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

    Are those "things" (created for earlier this
    week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?
    Danny D., Apr 14, 2013
  5. It helps to remember how these French words entered the
    English language 100 years ago. Both named real activities
    for which there were then no words in English viz.:
    Collage = making a picture by sticking together various
    different fragments. (Colle is French for glue, hence the
    verb and back-formed noun collage = gluing.)
    Montage was used to identify film editors' methods of
    integrating separately filmed sequences in order to
    tell a coherent story in a particular way. (Monter is the
    French verb for getting ready, the way you mount a
    horse, mount a school exhibition, mount a military
    operation, etc.)
    and both entered everyday English approx. 1920-40.

    Half the natural occurences of these words nowadays no
    longer concern pictures (still or moving), i.e. are metaphorical.
    But some difference is preserved, viz:
    Collage means sticking things together
    Montage something subtler and less mechanical.
    Don Phillipson, Apr 14, 2013
  6. Danny D.

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Tony Cooper, Apr 14, 2013
  7. Danny D.

    Savageduck Guest

    I would say that those are a montage.
    They are individual photographs arranged on a background. They are not
    arranged to create another image from parts of each as I would expect
    in a collage. They are not laid out tile-like to form a pattern or
    image as one might expect with a mosaic construction.
    Savageduck, Apr 14, 2013
  8. Danny D.

    Alan Browne Guest

    Simply open a dictionary where both are clearly explained and easily
    Alan Browne, Apr 14, 2013
  9. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    Wow. Nice. Simple. Very easy to understand.

    montage ==> separate images slapped together
    collage ==> one image from separate images
    mosaic ==> a pattern from separate images

    Montage it is!

    Danny D., Apr 15, 2013
  10. Danny D.

    Savageduck Guest

    My pleasure, but it seems you got your attributions screwed up by
    indiscriminate snipping.
    Savageduck, Apr 15, 2013
  11. Danny D.

    dadiOH Guest

    To me - an former photographer - they are montages because they form a
    continuous whole.

    If I printed each image individually and pasted them up they would be a
    collage. It is a continuous whole but made of obviously separate elements
    which could be separated into individual elements again.

    If I made tiles of various sizes, shapes and colors and formed them into
    your image I would call it a mosaic.



    Winters getting colder? Tired of the rat race?
    Taxes out of hand? Maybe just ready for a change?
    Check it out...
    dadiOH, Apr 15, 2013
  12. Danny D.

    dadiOH Guest

    That works too :)

    Best choice IMO/



    Winters getting colder? Tired of the rat race?
    Taxes out of hand? Maybe just ready for a change?
    Check it out...
    dadiOH, Apr 15, 2013
  13. Danny D.

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 14/04/2013 21:21, Don Phillipson wrote:

    Getting ready? Ehm... no.

    Monter has the following meanings: to ascend to, to climb, to reach, to
    increase, to assemble.

    Mounting a horse (-> to ascend) is quite different from mounting a
    military operation (-> to assemble)

    By extension, a "montage" would be an "assembly"
    Joe Kotroczo, Apr 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.