Lens advice needed :(update)

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by M J Wyllie, May 29, 2010.

1. M J Wyllie

M J Wyllie Guest

Firstly, thanks to everyone who replied & offered some advice. I have had a good look through the
    pics I took at my sons last tournament & found that the majority of shots were taken between 50mm &
    70-75mm. This was with my 28-135 IS lens. So i'm thinking that I really should opt for the 24-70L.

Just for interest, here are 2 of the pics taken, this one at 50mm

www.members.optusnet.com.au/mjwyllie/MA-EXAMPLE1.jpg

this 1 at 75mm

www.members.optusnet.com.au/mjwyllie/MA-EXAMPLE2.jpg

Both these pics were taken from 1 position, which was from where I was sitting. So, what i'm
    thinking is, a) I will have the luxury of moving around & getting closer to the mat at future
    tournaments,& b) 70mm is more than enough for what we want to do!

Forgot to mention previously, my camera is a 450d with 1.6 crop sensor, but this shouldn't really be
    a factor because I do want to get down to the wide end for group shots & already have the 70-200L
    for longer zoom if required!

All the posed stuff, ie: Photo with Sensei, belt/trophy presentation, can be set up with tripod, so
    thats not an issue, its the action stuff that I really want to get the best from!

Thanks again....

M J Wyllie, May 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. M J Wyllie

Bruce Guest

In which case, the lens with IS would be the best choice.

So go for the 24-105mm. ;-)

Now that you have confessed that your camera is not full frame, I
    would strongly recommend that you also consider the Canon EF-S 17-55mm
    f2.8 IS USM.

Bruce, May 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. How does IS help with "action stuff"?

Robert Spanjaard, May 29, 2010
  4. Notable are the poor compositions (in "1", the person [stationary] could show more [or less]
    of his body/head included; in "2", same comment for the "decapitated" person on the right,
    the "head-split" one in blue, and the one on the left could use a tad more frame width). When
    in doubt, shoot slightly wide and crop later. Also the lighting and exposures are very poor.
    I assume there is no low overhead neutral-colored ceiling to bounce off(?). Otherwise try
    something like Styrofoam milkshake containers attached big end to big end with crinkled
    aluminum foil rubber cemented to the "back" insides. Cut a hole in one end so they will
    press-fit over the top of your upturned flash (oriented so it can be flipped for vertical or
    horizontal - or left at 45 degrees to cover both). This will provide a softer light from a larger
    light source, from a reasonably high angle. Adjust your exposures higher with compensation
    (and add as much ambient light to the mix as you dare - a little motion, especially with a
    rear-curtain flash synchronization, can look good...).
    --David Ruether
    www.donferrario.com/ruether

David Ruether, May 29, 2010
  5. Follow what action? Pan which subject?
    One of the fighters running away after a hit?

In fact, if you're fast enough do do high-speed panning during a fight
    (like following a face when a fighter falls down), a stabiliser only
    makes it harder.
    What are you? Some lame beginner P&S troll?

Robert Spanjaard, May 29, 2010
  6. M J Wyllie

M J Wyllie Guest

Thanks CJ for the advice. As you have gathered, there is no thought to composition etc, in those 2
    pics. I'm just a parent in the crowd getting shots of his son! I threw these 2 pics up to give
    everyone an idea of what i'm up against for future shoots & maybe give a better opinion of the
    choice of lens.

Next time round, I will be able to move around, get closer to the mat etc, & then i can concentrate
    more on isolating the target.

As it will almost always be in this hall, I will have plenty of opportunities to experiment with
    lighting & position. I was using flash, with white balance set to flash, overhead lights are yellowy
    looking flouro's & just to add to the mix, there are a set of double doors to the right of the room
    open & letting in natural light!

The way the tournaments are structured, there are always going to be kids around the mat watching,
    so the background is always going to have some of them in it. I could probably cheat later &
    introduce some DOF blur through photo editing!

For the moment, I just want to get the sharpest lens possible for these types of shots, then start
    tackling all the other issues!

M J Wyllie, May 30, 2010
  7. M J Wyllie

M J Wyllie Guest

Thanks Bruce, for your advice. See this is whats really confusing me, the IS vs the aperture. The
    24-70L sits right in the range I need & I already have the 70-200L for longer stuff.
    I don't think I need to go that wide & really only want to carry 2 lenses with me.

M J Wyllie, May 30, 2010
  8. M J Wyllie

Peter Guest

Depends. For vertical panning you may be right. The Nikon system has two
    modes. For horizontal panning, a mode which only stabilizes vertical motion.
    For normal shots vertical and horizontal motion is stabilized. Image
    stabilization is not a panacea, but only helps in the vast majority of
    situations.

Peter, May 30, 2010
  9. For the third time: what kind of action are you going to capture with
    panning?

Robert Spanjaard, May 30, 2010
  10. M J Wyllie

Bruce Guest

Understood. In which case, the lens you need is the 24-105mm f/4L IS.
    You will not regret it.

Bruce, May 30, 2010
  11. Yet you fail to answer his simple question about the advantage of IS
    versus aperture for his action shots.
    Which is understandable, because there is no advantage.

Robert Spanjaard, May 30, 2010
  12. M J Wyllie

M J Wyllie Guest

My humblest apologies, you're absolutely right! I don't know where I went wrong there, must have
    written down the info for a different shot. :-( But anyway the point remains, most of my shots are
    within the 50-75mm region.

FWIW, after much reading & reading & reading, I am now the proud owner of a 24-70 f/2.8L Canon lens!
    Now to iron out all the other problems!!!

Thanks for the suggestions,I might email you in a week or to with some questions & stuff!

M J Wyllie, Jun 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question