Lens Mount Identification

Discussion in 'Photography Chat' started by aero_rob, Mar 22, 2009.

1. aero_rob

aero_rob Guest

Hi all, I'm hoping someone out there with more experience than I can help me with this little problem.

I'm fairly new to photography. I've always enjoyed it, it's just that I've only recently gotten into serious photography and the world of SLR cameras. I'm interested in this mainly as a fun hobby for myself and not for a career, so I'm not wild about the extreme cost of pretty much everything associated with SLRs. For this reason, I keep an eye out for older, used lenses.

I found a lens on eBay that was exactly what I was looking for: medium-range telephoto, but with a relatively larger aperture. The price was right (<$10), and the lens was in decent quality. It was described rather vaguely as simply being a "Canon mount," and also said would go great with an AE. So, as the mount wasn't pictured, I assumed it would be an FD mount and I could use one of the simple adapters for my EOS DSLR.

Well, it can never be that easy. The lens arrived, but it is most definitely not an FD mount. The problem is, I have no clue what it is. It looked similar to the EF mount I was familiar with, but noticeably smaller. I tried looking up the lens online, but it's old, so there's not a wealth of information about it, but what I have found is that it was made for quite a number of mounts.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's what I do know:

The lens is a Vivitar Auto Telephoto 135mm f/2.8, and from the serial number, it was manufactured by Komine in either 1976 or 1986. Physically, the diameter of the mount is about 44mm, with a lever to indicate the aperture setting. The three locking segments are of three separate sizes. Otherwise, there are no markings that hint at the mount compatibility.

Searching online for what it could possibly be, it looks similar to Nikon F mount, but lacks the fork on the side of the lens. It also looks similar to the Pentax K mount, but the flange seems a bit shallower than the picture of the K mount online. My last guess is a the Olympus OM mount.

Not having any other cameras around, I've got nothing personally to compare this to, nor any experience with any others to even go on. There are a few possibilities, but it's difficult to find good information online, and everything that looks similar always seems to have some small difference that makes me doubt it's the one. So, I turn to you fine people to help me out.

Anyone know what this mount is? Thanks in advance! :)

aero_rob, Mar 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question