LENSBABY: recent link in dpreview news letter - WHY

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by Ken Ellis, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Ken Ellis

    Ken Ellis Guest

    Anybody care to enuciate the value of this $150 attachment? Looks like
    it gives what a vignette+gaussian blur layer does in photoshop. The
    selective sharpness is 101 too; or say Andromedas "VariFocus Mask'.

    I like the name "lensbaby". That's pretty cool. What am i missing

    Ken Ellis, Apr 10, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Ken Ellis

    Bubbabob Guest

    It has no value.
    Bubbabob, Apr 10, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Ken Ellis

    andrew29 Guest

    It's not an attachment, it's a lens. And no, it is not possible to
    dupicate the effect of moving the plane of focus in photoshop.

    andrew29, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Ken Ellis

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Lensbaby: So you don't have to bid on a Holga on ebay.
    Paul Mitchum, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Ken Ellis

    McLeod Guest

    It is quite simple to duplicate the effect of moving the plane of
    focus using the Lens Blur filter in Photoshop CS.
    McLeod, Apr 10, 2005
  6. Ken Ellis

    Ken Ellis Guest

    Thanks for pointing out that it is a lens - not an attachment..missed
    that on my perusal. Andrews comment made me go back an re-investigate.
    Originally checked dpreview.
    went to: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_lensbaby.php
    this time.

    However..looking at the photo examples...all are very simply
    acomplished in photo shop using a simple layer masque and or
    gradients or selection vignette..etc.

    What made me go back an reinspect a review was the comment
    of "moving the plane of focus". Functionally this doesn't do that.
    A "view cam" would be an example of a tiltable-movable focus
    plate; would snap this up in a second if it did something like that.
    The Lensbaby web site says "moves within a frame of focus".
    A bit different.

    I am not aware of a way to truly shift the frame of focus, in this
    sense, with a regular dig cam. Would be a remarkable feature and
    involve tilting the sensor. I can sorta do that using composits in
    photoshop, but i don't have an algorithm/applet to blend the layer'd
    shots and it's a manual process(works good to increase the dof for
    macros btw). At best it appears lensbaby, when bent, moves the
    spot of focus across the focal plane- it focus a "slice", if you will.

    Again..if i'm missing something, i welcome the dialoge. Andrew rightly
    corrected the "attachment" thing.

    I guess another question would be; and mindful of "optics" purists is
    - what is the quality of lens i am sacrificing to use this puppy..to
    get this effect; particularly considering post-process abilities.

    rgds and respect
    Ken Ellis, Apr 10, 2005
  7. Ken Ellis

    andrew29 Guest

    No it isn't, for the very good reason that tilting the plane of focus
    doesn't just blur things -- it makes other things sharper.
    Sure it does. The lens is on a flexible mount, so you can tilt and

    andrew29, Apr 10, 2005
  8. Ken Ellis

    McLeod Guest

    But it doesn't make things sharper than an already sharp image, so if
    you start with a sharp image it's quite simple.
    McLeod, Apr 10, 2005
  9. Ken Ellis

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    You're both right: It does change the plane of focus, but I can't
    imagine using it as a tilt or shift lens to any good effect.
    Paul Mitchum, Apr 11, 2005
  10. Ken Ellis

    andrew29 Guest

    I doubt that it's so very easy to replicate the effects of tilt &
    shaft and various interesting lens aberrations with Photoshop. But In
    the hands of a skilled operator, it might be possible, I guess.

    andrew29, Apr 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.