Light source recommendation needed

Discussion in 'UK Photography' started by Richard, Aug 4, 2007.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I went and made a light tent. I bought two lamps like the following:

    (BTW £2.08 at TESCO (Black) , £2.98 at ASDA (Black & White)

    I bought regular Edison Screw incandescent lamps. Strictly speaking a
    60w incadescent is the maximum rating of lamp that can be used in the
    desk lamps.

    I really ought to have a better light source.

    The thing I probably need is something like a 75W PAR30 Wide Flood
    (possibly long neck, not sure). For efficiency tungsten halogen.

    Not sure what size I can go up to with these desk lamps. The label says
    "MAX 60W ES R63". No idea what R63 means. The diameter of the shade is

    Can anyone point me to a particular product I could be using instead of
    the incadscent lamps I bought? Or, what are you using? You may not be
    using a reflector lamp, perhaps a flourescent? Thanks.
    Richard, Aug 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. Richard

    Rob Morley Guest

    I reckon that would be OK. If it comes to it you can always cut away
    some of the shade for clearance/cooling - just don't break them, burn
    yourself or start any fires.
    R = reflector, 63 = 63mm diameter.
    I'd be wary of fluorescents because they aren't full spectrum so may
    cause problems with colour rendition. Incandescent lamps may need
    correction for colour temperature, but that's easily achieved with a
    filter or by digital manipulation.
    If I was going to make a light tent setup I'd probably use 150W halogen
    floods - £3.15 each from Toolstation and bulbs are only 50p. :)
    Rob Morley, Aug 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. Richard

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    I got one of those complete worklamp stands with the two 500w lights on
    them, and retro fitted them with 300w lamps. With a little bit of
    fiddling you can actually mount another pair of floods, or other types,
    below them on the bar.

    Mine came from CPC, along with a couple of PAR filter holders, and a
    selection of gels (can be simply attached using Bulldog clips). The
    whole lot was less than £30.

    Having tried them, I found that you might just want to stick with the
    500w lamps, as the reflectors aren't quite as efficient as 'pro' studio
    Andy Hewitt, Aug 4, 2007
  4. R63 merely specifies the size of the bulb socket.
    Mike Cawood, HND BIT, Aug 5, 2007
  5. Richard

    harrogate3 Guest

    No R63 means a bulb that is 63mm across - like R50 and R80.
    harrogate3, Aug 5, 2007
  6. Richard

    harrogate3 Guest

    Maplin are doing one at 19.95 (I think) in their sale at the moment,
    and it should work perfectly with your lights.

    I bought one in their last sale and have been very please with the
    harrogate3, Aug 5, 2007
  7. Richard

    Rob Morley Guest

    Maplin are doing one what?
    Rob Morley, Aug 5, 2007
  8. Richard

    Rob Morley Guest

    But we're talking about a light tent here, not studio floods.
    Rob Morley, Aug 5, 2007
  9. Richard

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Aye, and having used these at close range myself, I found that the lower
    wattage work lights weren't bright enough.

    I was using these to illuminate some eBay items, from a range of less
    than 2ft, I still needed all of my lamps to get enough light - two 300w
    and three 150w.
    Andy Hewitt, Aug 5, 2007
  10. Richard

    Rob Morley Guest

    That seems a little excessive (I thought my suggestion of two or three
    150W lamps might be OTT) - I guess they just scatter the light too
    Rob Morley, Aug 5, 2007
  11. Richard

    harrogate3 Guest

    Sorry, a light box.
    harrogate3, Aug 5, 2007
  12. Richard

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    That could be the case. It might be an idea to make some shields to
    direct the light better. And again, the reflectors are pretty poor too,
    perhaps replacing them with some more highly polished ones might improve
    them. The cost is adding up a tad, but they'd still be considerably
    cheaper than studio lights.
    Andy Hewitt, Aug 5, 2007
  13. Richard

    Rob Morley Guest

    This is about a DIY light tent, not a light box. :)
    Rob Morley, Aug 5, 2007
  14. Richard

    Tony Polson Guest

    Even that is excessive. I think the problem here is that people are
    trying to generate enough illumination to use the camera hand held,
    which is completely unnecessary.

    I use 20W and 50W halogen lamps and a TRIPOD. For people who
    obviously don't know what a tripod is, and prefer to use ludicrously
    excessive 300W or even 500W halogen lamps instead ( a quite
    frightening thought indoors, especially in summer temperatures!), a
    tripod is a device that holds a camera still for time exposures.

    My exposures are typically 1 second at f/8 or f/11. Using a good
    quality tripod means that the images are pin sharp.

    If anyone really is stupid enough to use high wattage halogen lamps
    indoors, they should make sure they have a compatible fire
    extinguisher to hand.
    Tony Polson, Aug 5, 2007
  15. Richard

    harrogate3 Guest

    harrogate3, Aug 6, 2007
  16. Richard

    Rob Morley Guest

    It's not pedantry - a light box is not the same thing as a light tent.
    So you missed the bit where the OP said "I went and made a light tent"?
    Rob Morley, Aug 6, 2007
  17. Richard

    Rob Morley Guest

    In other circumstances I would think you were being unnecessarily harsh,
    but in this group you might have a point.
    I did mention fire hazard up there ^ somewhere - do you think I should
    have added something like "get a grownup to help"?
    Rob Morley, Aug 6, 2007
  18. Richard

    Tony Polson Guest


    When some people who know less than nothing start giving advice on
    this group, it is time to be harsh.
    Tony Polson, Aug 6, 2007
  19. Richard

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Against my better judgment, I will reply to this. Yes, I have a tripod,
    and yes I know how it works. No, I don't use my lighting for handheld

    Perhaps you may have missed the opportunity to check what lighting is
    actually available for 'indoor' use - you can obtain 1000w 'studio'
    lights. Surely a far greater hazard than what I have ones. And exactly
    what fire hazard are these, say, more than a gas cooker, or perhaps some
    open flame candles?

    I have spent many years setting up stage sound and light systems, many
    of which run into multiple kilowatts, and I have yet to see a fire
    started by these - despite some being near (well, nearer than the lights
    I use at home are to any such materials) to stage curtains and scenery

    Yet again you manage to join a conversation with criticism and
    arrogance, but little constructive content. I have no idea what it is
    you have against me, I have nothing against you, and as you can see I
    try to reply in a civilised manner.
    Andy Hewitt, Aug 6, 2007
  20. Richard

    Tony Polson Guest

    You have a total lack of judgement, Andy.

    It goes hand-in-hand with your total lack of knowledge.

    A winning combination. Not.
    Tony Polson, Aug 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.