Localized modification of exposure using Elements 2

Discussion in 'Photoshop Tutorials' started by ronviers, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. ronviers

    ronviers Guest

    I am trying to combine the information from a photo with one exposure
    setting with the same photo with a different exposure setting. I did
    not actually 'bracket' the original photo, instead I used Canon's
    Fileviewer utility to transfer the same photo, with a three stop
    difference, to two separate Tiff files.
    Then I opened both files and, while holding down the Control and shift
    keys, used the Move tool to drag one file to the other creating one
    Tiff with two layers. I think holding down the Control and Shift keys
    automatically aligns the layers?
    So now I have a Tiff with two layers that are perfectly aligned.
    What I would like to do is use a brush tool of some kind to kind-of
    paint the areas that are too dark so they will be replaced with the
    areas from the other layer that is correctly exposed.
    My problem is I do not have the Photoshop vocabulary to search google
    or the group archive to find out how to do this or if it is even
    possible. Is what I am trying to do possible? Is the way I am trying
    to do it silly? Would someone please explain what I should be doing or
    point me to an online tutorial that will explain how to make localized
    changes to exposure? Even some search terms would be useful.

    ronviers, Feb 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Hi Ron!

    Strictly speaking, Ctrl-Shift centres the moved layer over the image,
    but if one image is a copy of the other (with the exposure differences)
    I *think* it should be OK. I'll keep this simple, but forgive me if what
    follows is too patronising! :)

    I assume that you want to keep most of one exposure but incorporate
    elements from the other. Make sure that your main image is the top
    layer, then in the Layers palette click the bottom layer. Again in the
    layers palette click the r-h icon of the 3 at the bottom and click
    Levels from the list; don't do anything with this, just hit OK. In the
    layers palette click the levels layer, then hold Alt and move the cursor
    over the boundary between it and the top layer; when it changes from a
    hand to a black thing, click, and a bent arrow will appear on the top
    layer. This means that the 2 layers are linked.

    All that is a workaround to make sure that any work you do is undoable.
    The full version of PS has a thing called a Layer Mask which makes this
    a lot easier, but this will work OK. Click on the Levels layer and then
    on the blank white rectangle on it to make sure that you're working on
    the mask. Then select the Brush Tool from the palette and a suitable
    size and hardness of brush from the menu at the top (depends on what
    sort of image it is, but you can experiment). Set the colour to Black (D
    on the keyboard followed by X), then start painting: with luck and a
    following wind you'll see the bits that you want to alter appearing
    before your eyes! If you make a mistake, change the brush to white
    (keyboard X toggles the foreground and background colours) and paint
    over the mistake.

    Hope that's of help. I got the mask trick from
    She's got loads of other good stuff, so take a look.

    Geoff Realname, Feb 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. ronviers

    ronviers Guest

    H Geoff,
    Thank you very much for the answer. I will try it after I get some
    sleep. I will also read the tutorials on Janee's website. I have only
    glanced at the site but it looks like exactly what I need. I apologize
    to you and the rest of the group if my question came across as lazy,
    but I really did try to find the answer before posting.

    Take care,
    ronviers, Feb 27, 2006
  4. No problems! While I'm here, I should have said that, when using the
    brush, you can alter the opacity to less than 100%. This means that you
    can vary the amount that you allow to show through, making subtle
    changes possible.

    Geoff Realname, Feb 27, 2006
  5. ronviers

    KatWoman Guest

    and the advantage of using the mask is that it is always able to be edited
    if you erase the top layer instead you lose those pixels for good.
    When layering 2 alike images, you may also find success trying some blending
    layer modes on the top layer, like darken or lighten.(dropdown box in layers
    palette next to opacity slider)
    KatWoman, Mar 4, 2006
  6. ronviers

    ronviers Guest

    Thanks for the tips and the insight. I am still a tillte blown away by
    Photoshop Elements. I am hoping to get CS2 soon but to be honest I
    spend so much time setting up a single shot that by the time I finish
    it I am so close to the picture that I feel like a zombie when I look
    at it. After I load an image into Elements I freeze like a deer in the
    headlights. I guess the real problem is that with noone to talk to
    about the picture I do not know what is expected of me. Do you know of
    a group that would look at a picture and tell me what should be done?

    ronviers, Mar 5, 2006
  7. alt.binaries.photos.original

    I haven't posted there myself but they seem fairly friendly!

    Geoff Realname, Mar 5, 2006
  8. ronviers

    ronviers Guest

    Thanks Geoff. Friendly is the most important thing since my skin is
    not very thick. Now I will have a camera group, rec.photo.digital, and
    a darkroom group, this one, and now a photography group. I am passed
    the phase where I want to talk cameras and I have really been wanting
    to talk photos.

    Take care,
    ronviers, Mar 6, 2006
  9. ronviers

    ronviers Guest

    I am just wondering why with everyone else the text with greater than
    signs apear above the replies but not with mine? How could I possibly
    screw that up? I have no doubt that the answer is mind numbingly
    obvious but I am not seeing it.

    Thanks again,
    ronviers, Mar 6, 2006
  10. I think you're using Thunderbird or something like it. Tools/Account
    Settings, then, under your news account, Composition and addressing; you
    then have the choice of the reply appearing before or after the quote. I
    think that after is the favoured option, but no doubt someone will
    correct me if I'm wrong! :)
    Geoff Realname, Mar 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.