- Looking for a "scratched edges" plugin; any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Jon J. Yeager, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Can someone tell me what plugins will do the scratches edges effect on
    pictures like the one found on top of http://www.danielghattas.com ?

    I've tried PhotoGraphic Edges and Alien Skin Splat and both don't do that
    scratched effect very well. They're more "torn paper" effect-driven... while
    I'm looking for that "brush stroke" dirty/scratchy feel.

    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    Jon J. Yeager, Oct 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. What you want to do is really easy to do with layers and masking. If you
    learn about masking, you just might through some of your filters in the


    The Doormouse
    The Doormouse, Oct 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Jon J. Yeager

    jjs Guest

    Well, there is a torn poster edge filter built into photoshop. Play with
    jjs, Oct 21, 2004
  4. I think you misread my posting. The torn paper thing is exactly what I'm
    trying to avoid.

    I'm looking for the brush/scratches effect.
    Jon J. Yeager, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Thanks, but I've yet to find a tutorial on how to do this anywhere near as
    nicely as the example I posted. :(
    Jon J. Yeager, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Jon J. Yeager

    Orchid Guest

    You may want to try:

    There are links at the botton to other articles on getting similar
    effects which may help you do what you need even if this particular page
    does not.

    Applying the effect is pretty easy (past the black and white picture
    into a channel, load it, then delete parts of the picture or load the
    worn paper look graphic into a layer mask) but finding the right
    combination of brushes and pressure to achieve the effect will be the
    tricky part. One of the sites referenced at the bottom of the page above
    includes a link to a site called V-brushes which has brushes that should


    Personally, I'd go for the advice of taking tape to a black print out
    and distressing it by hand then scanning that page in and using it as
    the basis for a layer mask or channel.

    Good luck.

    Orchid, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Jon J. Yeager

    lara hartley Guest

    Did you try contacting someone at the website where you found the effect
    and just asking them?

    lara hartley, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Jon J. Yeager

    Bob 4 Guest

    Here's a hint.

    The area that looks gold with the wrinkled appearance is a lower layer
    under a black upper layer. Gold layers like that can be created using
    the noise generator and filters that camer with PS. The brush scratches
    effect is probably the cross hatch filter.

    I to am waiting for that magic filter that knows just what I'm thinking
    and just does it for me. So far it has just been to darn much work
    making something neat and different.

    http://www.myjanee.com/PSRL/linksindex.htm Is full of stimulation
    for thought..

    Good luck
    Bob 4, Oct 24, 2004
  9. Jon J. Yeager

    jjs Guest

    I was asked to do a "scratched film" appearance, so I scratched the film and
    scanned it. Client said, "Not realistic!"
    jjs, Oct 24, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.