Looking for good camera for dim indoor light

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras' started by Dale Bricker, May 24, 2004.

  1. Dale Bricker

    Dale Bricker Guest

    I am looking to buy a camera that will let me take as sharp a
    picture as reasonably possible (i.e., $350 to $475, more or
    less) of dim images of old records (300-year old ship manifests,
    400-year-old batismal records, etc) thrown up on the screens of
    ancient microfilm readers. Also, something that will eventually
    let me learn to do IR and UV photography, if possible, of faded
    original documents. Have read that I should avoid Nikon because
    of the slow lense, but what would be a good option instead? Oh,
    did I mention that I'd like to be able to take the standard type
    of photos as well, like wide Southwestern vistas and children's
    birthday parties?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Dale Bricker
    Dale Bricker, May 24, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Dale Bricker

    jbruceb Guest

    You might want to look at a factory reconditioned Olympus C 5050Z (not the
    newer C 5060) which sells for about $360 from Beachcamera.com, and sells new
    for about $440 from a number of websites. This 5MP camera has a very fast
    f1.8 lens (great for low light situations) and both a macro and super macro
    modes for getting as close as 1" to the subject. It also has blackboard and
    whiteboard modes that should be perfect for photographing from the screens
    that you describe. I'm pretty sure that you can come close to IR
    photography with it, but I don't know about UV. For those Southwestern
    vistas, it has a great Panorama mode.
    Don't be afraid of the factory reconditioned choice; it comes with a 90 day
    factory warranty, and you can buy a 2 year extended factory warranty for
    If you are interested, read the review in stevesdigicams.com.
    jbruceb, May 25, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Dale Bricker

    Lionel Guest

    That's really expensive, awkard, tedious & low quality way capture
    images from microfilm. Microfilm readers with integral printers used to
    be pretty common (in fact I spent a couple years working for Bell &
    Howell engineer, & repairing reader/printer units was about 3/4s of my
    working day). Perhaps you can find one on the secondhand market (The
    names to look for are Bell & Howell, 3M & coupl eof others I no longer
    remember), or get access to one at a bigger library, or an organisation
    with big archives.
    Lionel, May 25, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.