Lost/stolen equipment insurance

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by Cynicor, May 21, 2006.

  1. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Has anyone here ever made a claim against a homeowners policy for lost
    or stolen camera gear? How did that work out for you? (Don't ask. I suck.)
    Cynicor, May 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. I was told they don't cover camera equipment.
    Hoo Flung Poo, May 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    By whom? I am of the understanding that they cover all possessions,
    although the more expensive ones should be put on a schedule to avoid
    low maximum payouts.
    Cynicor, May 21, 2006
  4. Cynicor

    Rebecca Ore Guest

    I've had things covered in the house (a P&S went on the list of things
    taken but the deductible was $500), but understand that a rider is
    necessary to cover cameras and equipment outside the house beyond
    something like 10% of the value. I tried to get a rider to renters
    insurance when I had a F3 a number of years ago but could never get a
    quote. Haven't asked the current homeowners insurance people since I
    made a claim last year and don't want my rates to go through the roof.

    For burglary claims in general, you need to have called the police
    really quickly without disturbing the crime scene, to have gotten the
    name of the officer and the report number, and gotten that to the
    insurance company.

    If you get mugged, you're out of luck without the rider, but car
    insurance might cover items stolen if the car was broken into (I'm a
    non-car person so I don't know this for a fact).

    If you let people in and they stole stuff that you only noticed as
    missing later, I suspect you're going to be out of luck.
    Rebecca Ore, May 21, 2006
  5. Cynicor

    tomm42 Guest

    Home owners won't cover the camera equipment unless it is stolen from
    the home, and then deductable applies. That said, most HO insurance
    offers a rider for camera equipment, you have to declare what you have
    and what you paid for it. Got it on my D200 and lenses before going on
    vacation this month, and haven't gotten the bill yet. Good news, no
    deductable. Luckily I didn't have to test making a claim.
    If your equipment was stolen from your car, try your auto insurance,
    once had a claim paid like that.

    tomm42, May 21, 2006
  6. Cynicor

    Don Wiss Guest

    If it is within 90 days of purchase, and you bought it with a premium
    credit card, it may be covered by the credit card. I know mine also covers
    things damaged. So if I dropped my camera on its lens, and the lens
    shattered, I would expect it to be covered (if within 90 days).

    Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).
    Don Wiss, May 21, 2006
  7. Cynicor

    Edward Holt Guest

    I think that may depend on which country you live in and who your insurer

    In the UK, I asked my home contents insurer that question last week.
    They cover camera equipment, up to the cost of £2,000 per component being
    stolen etc in the UK and abroad. I asked if the aggregated cost of the kit -
    body, lenses, flash etc - constituted a camera or camera system and was told
    they don't - so the £2,000 limit applies each to body, lens flash.
    Edward Holt, May 21, 2006
  8. Cynicor

    Pete D Guest

    Mine was covered, house was burgled and they took around $5,000 of gear ,
    mostly video and film gear about 5 years ago. Purchased much better gear
    with the insurance money. :)))))
    Pete D, May 21, 2006
  9. Cynicor

    M Collins Guest

    I'm confused - surely this is going to vary between insurance companies.

    Which raises the question: "Why aren't you asking your insurance company"?
    M Collins, May 21, 2006
  10. Cynicor

    jean Guest

    I did, twice in fact. One time (about 3 years ago) my house was broken into
    and they took my beloved Coolpix 995 as well as my video camera and other
    stuff from the house. The camera was replaced with a Coolpix 4500 since the
    995 was no longer available. All my other stuff was otherwise replaced save
    for the deductible.

    Another time (two years ago) I had a flood in my basement in which I lost a
    Canon 300D, flash, lenses... all were replaced, again save for the
    deductible. After two claims like that, they increased my deductible since
    I was a bad risk. 25 years without any claims and 2 in the last 3 years, I
    lived too long without mishaps or I am indeed a bad risk ;-)

    In both cases, I ended up with better equipment for the cost of the
    deductible, if it was not for the hassles of having a robbery or getting my
    basement redone, I would say it was not such a bad experience.

    jean, May 21, 2006
  11. Don't carry photo gear on your homeowners. Get a separate Inland
    Marine policy for it. Then you'll have no problems.


    "I have been a witness, and these pictures are
    my testimony. The events I have recorded should
    not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

    -James Nachtwey-
    John A. Stovall, May 21, 2006
  12. Yes, but a LONG long time ago (1970s). It worked out surprisingly
    well. The two cases were State Farm homeowners policies. The first
    case involved a camera knocked onto the ground by someone other than
    me, the second case involved a theft out of my house. They were so
    long ago I don't know if they give you any help.

    Good luck! And try to suck less :).
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 21, 2006
  13. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Thanks for the advice! I learned two things today.

    1. I double-suck.
    2. There's a special off-property exclusion on homeowners policies for
    possessions, but only in New York. WTF?

    Now as for 1., I was shooting my daughter's horse show today, and my
    70-200 VR lens said "well, screw this!" and fell off the monopod,
    landing on a wooden picnic table about 18" down. I usually don't use a
    UV filter, but I had one on the lens today because I had a premonition.
    The glass of the filter chipped, and the ring bent so that it got stuck
    on the polycarbonate filter ring of the lens.

    I took the ring and filter out, and smashed the glass out to make it
    easier to unscrew the ring. But it was now oval-shaped from the fall. I
    took it to the local camera store, and they were able to bend the filter
    enough to unscrew it. The lens is completely fine, or I WOULD have
    shoved it down my own throat right there.
    Cynicor, May 21, 2006
  14. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    How does that work, unless I put an outboard motor on it?

    Hmmm...if I put a mushroom anchor on it it would be harder to steal.
    Cynicor, May 21, 2006
  15. Cynicor

    tomm42 Guest

    Check out Inland Marine, and a camera rider on your homeowners. When I
    looked at Inland Marine, it was much more expensive than the homwowners
    rider. Damage is included in the my homeowner rider, as well as theft,
    with out the rider on my homeowner policy only theft from my home is
    covered. The only problem with homeowners insurance is the folks who
    sell it will make any claim an exclusion. When I bought my house two
    years ago, two companies wouldn't insure me because I had a 13 year old
    shepard mix dog who never hurt a person or a dog, a third company
    wouldn't insure us 'cause it was an old house. The company that did
    insure us gave us an historic property discount, just go figure. Oh yes
    the dog died two weeks after moving here, one of the two companies
    still wouldn't insure us because if we had a sherpard mix we would get
    another, huh?

    tomm42, May 21, 2006
  16. Cynicor

    Don Wiss Guest

    Inland Marine has nothing to do with boats. Here's a quote stolen from some
    web page: "Coverage for property that involves an element of
    transportation. The property must be actually in transit, held by a bailee,
    at a fixed location that is an instrument of transportation, or be a
    movable type of goods that is often at different locations."

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
    Don Wiss, May 22, 2006
  17. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    That's still kind of confusing to me (sorry, I'm off my meds). Does that
    mean that you can insure any property you own, for any time you take it
    out of your house, but only while it's on a plane/train/car/boat?

    I may not have to file a claim after all, by the way. There seem to be
    honest people out there.
    Cynicor, May 22, 2006
  18. Cynicor

    Pete D Guest

    The worst of it is knowing that someone has been in your house and you had
    not control over them. Since I was burgled I have all the windows with
    locks etc and a back to base alarm.
    Pete D, May 22, 2006
  19. Cynicor

    Don Wiss Guest

    Not quite. Only goods that often move around. Your camera equipment is
    often in locations other than your home. Most of the things in your home
    never leave it.

    Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
    Don Wiss, May 22, 2006
  20. Cynicor

    Jim Guest

    A lot of generic answers were given. You need to check your policy.
    My policy covers my camera equipment anywhere. If it is stolen from my
    car, hotel room or off my neck. Its covered. But under the straight
    policy it is only covered to 2000 USD. While I have replacement cost
    on my policy, camera equipment is still subject to coverage at
    depreicated value. That about covers one body and the 80-200 f2.8.
    So I am still out bucks if its lost. So, I scheduled the rest for
    additional premium. This gets expensive, so I generally only insure the
    bodies, the expensive lenses ( 500+ USD), and the carbon fiber tripod.
    The other stuff, not so much. Its not worth the premium. Indeed,
    years ago some equipment was stolen in Europe and they covered it.
    Check received in two weeks from time claim made.

    You really need to talk to your agent or direct writer and read your policy.
    Jim, May 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.