Macro Lenses?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment' started by meganwebb, Jan 27, 2010.

1. meganwebb

meganwebb

Hello,
    I currently have Canon Rebel XS and i am a amatuer photographer hoping to be a professional photographer i enjoy taking pictures and was looking into getting a macro or close up lens but i have no idea as to how to do this . for christmas i recieved close up filters and they are terrible . and i hate them .
    Thanks

meganwebb, Jan 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. meganwebb

fishman10

I only have experience with the MP-E 65mm 2.8 lens. This lens is amazing but expensive and takes some "work" to get used to. The lens itself will run about 900 and then the flash that is pretty much required will run betwen 500 and 800 depending on which one you go with. You can go get a cheaper lens and be happy with the results but nothing else gets in close like the MP-E if you can afford it.

fishman10, Jan 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. meganwebb

Alan J

Macro

I take it that you are not satisfied with your results due to distortion or shadows and you are wanting to get as close to perfection as possible. It is going to cost as you need to get extension tubes first off. These alter the lens magnification and they are not cheap. No doubt Canon do them, but if you live in UK, Jessops sell their own. Ebay is also worth a look. Even with extension tubes, depth of field is still shallow.
    They come in a set of three usually and you can use them individually or in multiples for the magnification that you want. You may not be able to use the cameras autofocus facility and if not visually focus. There should be a setting on the camera to enable this. The cameras light metering should work, but is worth checking. If you are wanting to use a flash then things get very complicated and expensive. You could find there is a problem with shadows and subject only being partially lit. You will need a dedicated ring flash for your camera, which will cost a lot more than your camera. Don't be tempted to buy used unless you know what you are doing as the triggering voltages may be different and you could end up blowing up your cameras electronics.
    Consider joining a good camera club and get to see other members results and compare ideas.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    Alan J, Feb 18, 2011
  4. meganwebb

George in Georgia

If you find one the Vivitar/Cosina etc 100mm f3.5 macro is a good lens at a good price. It goes to 1:2 continuously and with its matched closeup lens from 1:2 to 1:1. Very sharp, and available used in many mounts both manual focus and AF. Its a plastic fantastic, but has a metal mount. Mine is manual focus for Pentax K and new about 20 years ago cost $100.

George in Georgia, Aug 10, 2014
  5. meganwebb

compasiune11

Get rid of those filter, they are no good. Try instead macro rings, if you focal is at least 50 mm

compasiune11, Apr 18, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question