mic or mics for singer with guitar

Discussion in 'Professional Video Production' started by Tom McGlinn, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Tom McGlinn

    Tom McGlinn Guest

    About once a week on a live broadcast show for local TV (very small
    audience) we have somebody musical to shoot - often one person with a guitar
    (sometimes other combinations of singers and instruments). The singer has a
    lav on for talking to the host, and I set up an ME-66 about five feet in
    front him or her as well. The sound is balanced in the control room. I
    suspect that the sound could be better. What set up should I use to get the
    best sound? A couple of mic stands - with one mic for the singer and one for
    his guitar? And a big question - what mics should be on those stands, if
    that's the way to go? Any other suggestions? Thanks,
    Tom McGlinn, Jul 25, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. dynamic cardiod for the voice+ 1 cardiod or hipper cardiod condenser for the
    guitar.you can use shure beta for the voice and shure 81 for the
    guitar(neunann 84 or 184,185 will do the job as well) ,if you don't have
    additional condenser you might use the 66 about 2-3 feet from the guitar
    for its pick up ,the angel should be from up to down when the mice is
    pointing to the strings

    Oleg Kaizerman (gebe) Hollyland
    Oleg Kaizerman, Jul 25, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Tom McGlinn

    FlyByKnight Guest

    Depends on what's available to you. If you can afford it, condenser mics are
    your best bet guitar. I don't like the SM81 for this, it's too bright and
    brittle sounding. I'd use an AKG C1000 (or your ME-66), about 6-8 inches up
    the neck of the guitar, 8-10 inches in front, pointing back down towards
    (but not exactly at) the sound hole. If you can, you should also mic the
    body right behind the bridge. The C1000 or ME-66 will work here, but a
    warmer mic like the C3000 would be better since the sound at the bridge is
    very bright and the 3000 is a very warm mic. Mix the two at the board.

    The C3000 is also excellent for vocal work. There's no reason not to use a
    condenser mic even for live vocals as long as the environment is reasonably
    controllable. For example, if this "live event" were a heavy metal concert,
    using a cap mic for vocals would be like shooting yourself in the foot.
    However, since this seems like an intimate "man and his guitar" setup (with
    or without an audience), then you want something that can pick up a wide
    dynamic range and subtle inflections. The sound hitting the tape will be
    much cleaner, too.

    If you don't have a good wide-diaphragm condenser for vocals, then you're
    better off using an SM58 rather than a small cap like the ME-66 or C1000.
    You won't have the flat freq. resp. of the cap, but the sound will be
    colored in a nice, familiar way (everyone, I mean EVERYONE knows what a
    singer through a '58' is supposed to sound like).

    FlyByKnight, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Tom McGlinn

    Ty Ford Guest

    I would respectfully disagree with the notion of using an AKG C1000.

    Because the setup seems to vary (and it's not clear large a group you may
    actually get) answering usefully is not easy.

    SM 58 for individual vocals and SM 57 for instruments and amps is a good
    start. There are better.

    Perhaps a good stereo mic for larger ensembles; something like an Audio
    Technica AT825 suspended or boomed from above.

    Again you can do better, but it'l cost more and probably be more finnicky.

    Does your audio console have enough inputs? If not Get a small Mackie, do a
    premix to stereo and send that to your console.


    Ty Ford

    For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
    click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford
    Ty Ford, Jul 26, 2003
  5. Tom McGlinn

    Tom McGlinn Guest

    Thanks very much for your replies. They've caused me to search the web to
    learn about the suggested mics - still researching.
    Tom McGlinn, Jul 27, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.