Minolta AP-8 Projector

Discussion in 'Minolta' started by TACAN, Aug 26, 2006.

1. TACAN

TACAN Guest

i have recently been looking at my dad's old minolta ap8 standard 8 movie
    projector.

electrically and mechanically speaking it seems in pretty good shape - but
    is in need of a replacement main drive belt and drive belt for the take-up
    reel.

can anyone suggest where they can be brought these days?? if they're not
    available would an o-ring with the right x-section and diameter do the job.

also need some advice on how the main drive belt is replaced, as it looks
    as though some sort of surgery would be needed to get it on the drive
    pulleys

thanks
    graham

It's not what you feel inside - it's what you do that defines you. (Batman
    Begins)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TACAN, Aug 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. TACAN

Frank

Me Too

Hi Graham,
    I too have recently done the same. My Dad has now moved into a Nursing Home and We cleaned out the Shed.... And found the old Minolta AP-8.
    It too is in good nick, but the drive belts were simply greasy bits of wormlike sludge.
    I removed them and used some O-rings that I had sitting around my own shed. Both o-rings I had were pretty elastic and I had no trouble with them slipping once fitted.
    Fitting them is a bit of a pain.
    You need to undo some of the brackets. This is what I did:
    1. Remove the motor-fan guard (2 little bolts)
    2. Remove 2 screws securing the middle support for the 'slave' pulley shaft.
    3. Remove 2 screws securing the left hand side mounting of the 'slave' pulley shaft.
    This loosens things and will allow you a separate the worm gear from the circular gear on the right hand side. You can then put your 0-ring through here looping onto the 'slave' pulley and then you can lift the rest over the motor shaft pulley.
    I actually had a problem here because the circular gear cog mentioned above was actually touching the motor case and I needed to loosen the motor mounting, pry them apart and then re-secure the motor with a gap so that the o-ring could fit through.
    The second o-ring was trickier and you need to have the transformer (RHS top sector) unscrewed so that you can see and get some tools in to help install the o-ring between the back of the earlier mentioned circular gear and the top right hand side film drive pully.
    4. When both o-rings are fitted you can re-secure the Transformer and the 'slave' pully shaft.
    This seemed to work well form me and I just happened to have some 0-rings that fit, but I am sure if you get the rough distance measurement and go to a bearing '/ o-ring supplier, you will be able to pick up several o-rings to then try on for best fit.

Now I am trying to figure out if something else is wrong with mine, because I do not seem to have any film-drives turning when the machine is put in forward drive mode. Hence there was nothing that would wind the film onto the slave film spool.
    I think I will open the "extension arm" system, to check if there is a drive in there that needs to be replaced.

Good Luck
    let me know how you went
    Frank

Frank, Sep 23, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. TACAN

kalkwarfp

HI Guys,

I have just bought an AP-8 Projector off ebay.. On first inspection, it is clean and sound. However, the belt you talk about between the main drive shaft and the fan motor is not present., I will try the oring idea. There is also a Fuse of sorts that was out when i got it. It has got different voltage on it. I have plugged it into the socket that looks like it should be kept in, but there is no way of turning this dial. Do you know if this turns or not. Can you also tell me if this projector will play sound. Or is it only silent movies..?

Sorry,,, am Very Very new to this, so might be asking a few questions to try and get myself up to speed with my new toy..!!

Cheers
    Philippe

kalkwarfp, Nov 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements