monopod foot

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by Buy_Sell, Apr 17, 2007.

  1. Buy_Sell

    Buy_Sell Guest

    Last year, I purchased a Manfrotto monopod and tripod at a garage sale
    for $10 each. Both of these items used to belong to the sports
    photographer for the local newspaper in my town. The tripod is really
    nice and is the 055B model. I plan on picking up a used Manfrotto 488
    RC2 ball head for it today for $75.

    The monopod however is a bit of a dilemna. I've been trying to take
    long exposure shots with it and I haven't had too much success. I
    suspect that most of the problems are in the yaw axis. In other
    words, it is very easy to twist the monopod as it has only one leg.

    I researched the problem a bit and the Swiss Monostat monopod seems to
    have solved the problem by adding a ball swivel foot on the bottom of
    the leg to counteract the induced yaw movements. Well, this Swiss
    company is not giving this idea away inexpensively. Their monostat
    monopods are very expensive, so I got to thinking about how to create
    the same sort of effect, inexpensively and I think that a common
    household toilet plunger rubber attached to the bottom of my monopod,
    just might work.

    So, today I will stop by the hardware store and try to find a nice
    looking toilet plunger to add to my Manfrotto monopod. Hopefully this
    solves the problem. The worst case scenario is that I could always
    use this elaborate tool for unplugging a toilet, should the need arise.
    Buy_Sell, Apr 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. Buy_Sell

    Matt Clara Guest

    Monopods aren't inteded for long exposures--your mileage may vary, but if
    you're going under 1/15 of a second, you're asking for motion blur with
    anything less than a sturdy tripod (or perhaps VR/IS).
    Matt Clara, Apr 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. Buy_Sell

    Conrad Guest

    Hi Werk,

    for $10 each.<<

    Thanks for the entertaining story about your monopod "equipment". We
    need more of a sense of humor.


    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    PS I'm visiting my local hardware store for adding equipment to my
    Conrad, Apr 18, 2007
  4. Buy_Sell

    Mike Coon Guest

    I'd have thought what you want is something like a handlebar to give
    leverage against yaw. With a release button on one end, of course...

    Mike Coon, Apr 18, 2007
  5. Buy_Sell

    Conrad Guest

    Now you tell me after I buy a toilet bowl plunger.

    My use is now in beta testing and I'm hoping to market the finished
    product as "Yaw 1" in two colors - black or orange/red.

    Presently, the problem is getting a firm attachment between monopod
    and plunger without collapse. Inside, the plunger forms a tight
    suction with floor, outside in dirt, etc. our research team is still
    having problems.

    The market for pricing of "Yaw 1" is still being investigated.



    PS I also have a tripod. Our research team is working on attaching
    three tennis balls (orange in color) to the tripod legs. This will
    largely be marketed in California earthquake country.
    Conrad, Apr 19, 2007
  6. In Illinois, eons ago, my family called them "plumber's friend", but the
    term could have easily been in widespread use.

    Yo, England- what say you?

    Any other regional takes on this handy device?
    Tip: Be sure to include the word "digital" in your marketing jingoes.
    It'll add at least 50% to the market value. ....

    Best of luck, flush out those suckers....
    John McWilliams, Apr 19, 2007
  7. Buy_Sell

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    [ ... ]
    Plumber's Helper (Eastern USA at least).

    DoN. Nichols, Apr 20, 2007
  8. Buy_Sell

    Chris Luck Guest

    Not in sand, I'm thinking. Ok, since it's DIY time, how about a gate hinge
    with the shorter part screwed to the bottom of the 'pod so the longer part
    could fold up to the tube when in transit. Hold it up with rubber band when
    not in use, flip it down and stand on it to shoot.

    Potential hazards:-
    1) May dent shins while wandering about (and not just yours)
    2) May trip over the blessed thing.

    Come back with a user report. :)
    Chris Luck, Apr 20, 2007
  9. Buy_Sell

    Alan Browne Guest

    As another said a monopod is not intended for long exposures, it's
    intended to give you weight relief and stability for higher speed exposures.
    Alan Browne, Apr 21, 2007
  10. Buy_Sell

    Pat Guest

    I thought you were supposed to take one of those rubber wristbands
    that are out there in every possible color and with all kids of
    sayings ("WWJD", "Livestrong", etc) and slip one over the end of your
    lens. Then slide a string under it and attach it to a helium
    balloon. Movement of balloon acts as a shock absorber and you don't
    have to worry about ground conditions underfoot.

    Traditionally you would use 1 big balloon but the digital version has
    two small ones and you have to put a big "e" on the balloons
    Pat, Apr 21, 2007
  11. Buy_Sell

    Buy_Sell Guest

    UPDATE: The toilet plunger idea was a bust. I bought the type that
    looks like a bee hive. It actually caused more yaw movement than
    without it. I then started cutting it shorter and shorter, one ring
    at a time. It still didn't help. So, I ended up scrapping that idea.

    The good news is that the Manfrotto 488 RC2 works great on my
    Manfrotto 055B tripod. It even supports the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 lens
    without any problems.
    Buy_Sell, Apr 22, 2007
  12. Buy_Sell

    Mike Coon Guest

    I presume that what is at the foot of your monopod isn't the cause of the
    yaw; you are! So you require something that is stronger than you are and the
    plunger wasn't. What you require is something comparitively rigid, and that
    gives a wide base. Hence my suggestion of a handlebar. But a handlebar at
    the bottom to give a wide spread might work too. But will start to be as
    inconvenient as a tripod...

    Mike Coon, Apr 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.