Moving to a city with different voltage

Discussion in 'Photography Chat' started by marianastudart, May 24, 2010.

  1. marianastudart


    May 24, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Hello all,

    I'm new to this forum, and reasonably new to darkroom printing in general. I'm currently living in the US, but am moving back to Brazil in a couple of months. I'm setting up a dark room for the first time, and since the prices here are so much cheaper than in Brazil, I thought of setting it up here and taking it back to Brazil with my move. The problem is that the voltage here in the States is 120V, and in my home town in Brazil it's 240V. So my question is, is there a difference in the enlarger itself between the 120V and 240V models, or is it just the lamp? What I mean is, can I buy an enlarger, say, a Beseler 23CIII, in a 120V model, and when I get to Brazil simply switch the lamp to a 240V lamp? And what about the timer?

    Does anyone have any suggestions? I can use a voltage switcher (I don't know what it's called in english, but basically it inputs 240V and outputs 120V) and plug everything into that, or I can buy everything in European models, but those are hard to find, and I wouldn't be able to use it here during these last couple of months. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

    marianastudart, May 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.