Name of effect? Creating out-of-focus are _around_ a subject?

Discussion in 'Video Cameras' started by Traveller, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    Truthfully, in this case, practically anything would have worked
    because I was taking a still from the ep and using that in an intro to
    the ep with details such as airdate, ep name and small synopsis.
    Practically any effect would work, really. Thanks.
    Traveller, Apr 23, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    Kewl, thanks. I'll look for that. Sounds do-able though I'm still
    very much a newbie in V V. But as with all things, I'm starting to
    branch out bit by bit. Cheers! :eek:D
    Traveller, Apr 23, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    YES! That sounds about right. I have a heck of a lot more experience
    with graphics vs. video as I've done a lot of work in PaintShop Pro so
    the terms are familiar. I'll look for this in V V.
    Thanks, I did do a lot of searching through the forum posts, that's
    how I learned a little bit about using the masks. That one was tricky
    Neat. Thanks loads.
    Traveller, Apr 23, 2005
  4. Traveller

    Tony Morgan Guest

    Vegas has this built-in, and is described in the on-screen Help.
    Essentially you:
    1. Duplicate the clip (sequence) into a layer above the original
    2. Create a mask on the area *not* to be blurred and invert it
    by selecting Path Negative (so that the original mask area
    is sharp).
    3. If you wish you can feather the edge of the mask.
    4. If you want the mask to follow the subject, you can use
    the keyframe controller (at the bottom of the Event/Crop
    window) to arrange for the mask to move following the
    5. Finally, it's advisable to anchor the two layers together
    in case you start shifting bits to and fro along the
    timeline. To limit the extent of the anchor, it's advisable
    to split the video/audio immediately before and after the
    masked section.

    I'd hazard a guess that Premiere has a plug-in that allows this, though
    it might be a "pay-for".
    Tony Morgan, Apr 23, 2005
  5. Traveller

    PTRAVEL Guest

    No plug-in is necessary. Premiere as a number of built-in adjustable
    garbage mattes that make something like this very easy.

    PTRAVEL, Apr 23, 2005
  6. In photography, when an el cheapo lens causes this, it is called a
    "Vignette" effect. Maybe your software can reproduce this?
    Colon Terminus, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Traveller

    Traveller Guest


    Thanks for the process! I think that I'm going to go back and play
    around with the image and try all this.

    Cheers. :eek:D
    Traveller, May 4, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.