need advice for artsy photo

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Paulina Bozek, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. I saw a really cool picture a while back, of a book lying open on the table,
    and all the pages rifling (not the right word, but I can't think of what
    else to call it) through the air, as if someone was flipping the pages. I'm
    trying to recreate the effect, but I can't get it right. Can anyone think of
    what I might use to get the windblown-page effect? I've tried it with a hair
    dryer, but it didn't really work...


    Currently reading: "Cerulean Sins," Laurell K. Hamilton
    Don't try to outweird me. I get weirder things than you with my breakfast
    Paulina Bozek, Aug 12, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Paulina Bozek

    Danny Guest

    Try a cheap box type fan set some distance away.. You can change the
    direction and the speed at which the air is moving, and right now, they
    sell for less than $10.. Not to mention the fact that they come in handy
    some days.. :)
    Danny, Aug 12, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Paulina Bozek

    Dan Uneken Guest

    You might glue the book to a table and hang it upside down. Then light
    and prop it so that it will look alright in a reversed photographs,
    then add some air current, which will easily move the free-hanging
    pages. Try different shutter speeds (something like 1/30) and no flash
    (that would freeze the movement of the pages).
    A lot of work, but playing with gravity is what many illustration
    photographers do (like with liquids).
    Dan Uneken, Aug 12, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.