Need "wide angle" filter?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by Mike - EMAIL IGNORED, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. I need a 72 Tiffen 812 filter for my:
    Nikon 24-85 f/2.8-4.0D IF Autofocus lens.
    I see that a "wide angle" version of the
    filter is available at considerably higher
    price. Is this required? What are its

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Mike - EMAIL IGNORED, Sep 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Can't answer the "required" part, but i'd guess with a 24mm wide end it
    would help. The WA filter simply has a very thin profile, meaning the
    ordinarily thick metal ring is rather thinner. There is less chance of the
    metal ring intruding on the corners of your frame, commonly referred to as
    Martin Francis, Sep 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements


    Alan Browne Guest

    That is a "thin" version that increases the length of the front
    end as little as possible to prevent vignetting at wide angle
    and/or widest aperture.

    These thin versions usually don't have the female thread on the
    front and hence no other filters can be stacked on.

    I would think that for your lens, as long as you use one filter
    only (eg: remove any "protective" filter before adding the 812)
    that the vignetting might nor occur at all with only that filter
    in place.

    If you've seen vignetting in your wide angle shots, then it might
    be a good idea to get the thin version and use it w/o a skylight
    or UV filter in place.

    Alan Browne, Sep 6, 2004

    DGENR8 Guest

    Go for a 72mm-77mm step-up ring and the 77mm version of the 812.
    Probably cheaper overall, and will allow further stacking.

    DGENR8, Sep 7, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.