Newbie Am I making the right choice

Discussion in 'Video Cameras' started by ray scully, Sep 14, 2003.

1. ray scully

ray scully Guest

Searching out as much info. as I could, including this Group
    I am about to purchase a Sony DCRTRV 19
    My requirement are for a camcorder that is simple to operate, gives quality
    result at lower light levels, and does not pick up mechanical noise.
    It will be used for family holidays and recording the grandchildren as they
    grow up. I don't think I will be editing on the computer.
    Before I spend my hard earned pension, am I choosing wisely and were should
    I make the purchase? We are in America, New Orleans soon.

Many thanks in anticipation

Ray

ray scully, Sep 14, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. ray scully

Tumbleweed Guest

I got a good deal on one at Dixons Gatwick a couple of months ago. If you
    buy in the US you will have issues with the guarantee, customs (unless you
    pay duty in which case its probably no cheaper than in UK), maybe with NTSC
    format(if you want to give copies to people), & maybe with power supply.

Tumbleweed, Sep 15, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. I work in Detroit as video Editor/phtographer with over 10 years expereince. I Googled the camera you're considering. Just going over links I noticed a few people having problems. But I don't know if this should affect your opinion. Just something to think about.

If you're looking to take pictures of the kids MiniDV or HDV is a decent format to go with. Quality is pretty good. Not a big fan of anything related to the HI 8 format, quality is lacking, but for you want it for and your price range will do fine. Just not as sharp as you can get by spending just abit more.
    Steer away from direct to disc DVD format cameras. Just my opinion, but one wrong bump and the whole disc you recorded could be toast. Had a Sony Mavica still camera at work with the same problem. Plus you had to sit the camera motionless for a minute to initalize the disc... useless. The direct to hard drive cameras are nice but you will need a means to record it from camera.. A lot of your DVD recorders have a firewire direct record in. Look at the capacity of the camera and how many mintues that is before you have to record the video away.

Some cameras you may want to consider. But please do your own research. As consumer cameras vary greatly and there are so many to choose from. IT's hard to stay on top of it all.

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=62850476/st=product_tab

http://macbuy.macworld.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=62464824/st=product/sv=title

http://camcorders.about.com/od/camcordertoppicks/tp/TopUnder400.htm

chuckwagon524, Feb 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question