Newbie Question - Enlargers

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by D, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. D

    D Guest

    I have just started looking around on ebay and on this forum to try
    and get more information on enlargers. Can someone tell what the
    difference between an Enlarger and a Condenser Enlarger is?

    I am looking for something I can do 8x10 b/w printing at home with.

    D, Jul 23, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. D

    Mark A Guest

    The condenser refers to the light source of the head. Other heads are dichro
    (designed for color printing but you can use the color filters instead of
    variable contrast filters) or cold-light. Both dichro and cold-light are
    called diffusion heads. There are also some newer pure diffusion heads (like
    a dichro but only work with B&W VC) but these are relatively new and not
    many for sale on ebay.

    I assume you want to print with 35mm negatives up to 8x10 enlargement? Big
    difference compared to printing 8x10 negatives. Any medium format enlarger
    will work fine for 35mm negatives like the Beseler 67 or 23C.

    The lens is the most important thing. If printing 35mm negatives, I would
    recommend an El-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 (not the f/4 version). Also good are
    Schneider Componon-s and Rodenstock Rodagon (both 50mm)
    Mark A, Jul 23, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Michael Scarpitti, Jul 24, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.