Nikon F (from the 60's) Sync Cable or Hotshoe Adaptor?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by lorenbachman, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. lorenbachman

    lorenbachman Guest

    Hey Gang,
    I have a Nikon F, the original, not and F2, F4 etc. I would like to
    hook it up to some strobes, but I'm having trouble figuring out what
    kind of cables I need.

    Can anyone tell me what I need to trigger modern strobes? Also if you
    know where I can get the cables/adapters please let me know. Ideally
    I would like to purchase a set of strobes that I can use for both my
    Canon 5D and my F, if anyone has a recommendation, I'm all ears!

    lorenbachman, Feb 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. lorenbachman

    Jim Guest

    Doesn't the Nikon F have a PC socket? My F2 certainly does.
    Jim, Feb 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. lorenbachman

    lorenbachman Guest

    Hey Jim,
    I've always shot with ambient light, so I've never had a reason to
    look at the input. That being said, I would swear that it does have a
    PC socket, but it may have a threaded input on it. Will a standard PC
    sync cable work?
    lorenbachman, Feb 22, 2007
  4. Yes. The thread is just there for a more secure connection with Nikon

    Just make sure the timing type is set to X:
    It is coaxial to the shutter speed dial, like setting film speed on many
    cameras. You'll have to take off the Photomic (if present) to
    check/change it.
    Chris Loffredo, Feb 22, 2007
  5. lorenbachman

    lorenbachman Guest

    It is a photomic, so I'll make sure I pull that and get it set right.
    Do you have a suggestion on where I can get a cable?

    lorenbachman, Feb 22, 2007
  6. The usual gang: Your local camera store (if you are lucky
    enough to have one), B&H, Freestyle, Calumet, Adorama...

    If this is flash<->camera you will most likely need
    a double male cable. 99% of sync cables are
    female/male extension cords, so be careful in selection.

    There is a hot-shoe adapter that fits around the F's
    rewind knob. There are usually a few on ebay and KEH may
    have some. I think the AS-1 F2 version also fits the
    F - ????
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Feb 22, 2007
  7. lorenbachman

    darkroommike Guest

    Standard PC cable will work but I have a couple with F/F2
    locking collar to Vivitar that were made by Paramount
    (available from them or most dealers). I seem to recall the
    standard PC fitting was a bit short and fell out from time
    to time.

    darkroommike, Feb 23, 2007
  8. lorenbachman

    Pudentame Guest

    Yep, and if it has a hot shoe, (or even if it doesn't) you could use
    some $20 eBay radio slaves that would work with the 5D.
    Pudentame, Feb 27, 2007
  9. lorenbachman

    Noons Guest

    a simple male/male flash sync cable which you can get
    at most photography shops will do. like it
    was said before: check out the synch position
    on the dial. you want "FX" with a red "X".
    set it by lifting the shutter speed dial and rotating.
    and don't go over 1/60 in the speed: that's the
    flash synch speed of the F shutter.

    The way I use mine is to have a small and cheap
    flash unit attached to the camera, triggering other more
    powerful units via flash light triggers. you get those
    in ebay and they attach to the hot shoe of bigger flash
    units. Just about any modern flash will work this
    way in auto mode.

    Better yet: get a cheap flash light meter, something like the
    gossen lunasix F, and use that with the units in manual mode
    to measure the right amount of flash light. after a while you'll
    find you'll know already what apertures to use depending
    on film type, how many units at what power and it's simply a
    matter of confirming with the meter.

    Noons, Feb 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.