Novice needs help with effect - please help

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Neil Hindry, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. Neil Hindry

    Neil Hindry Guest

    I wonder if you can help me.
    I am trying to create the following effect.

    I want to have a word and instead of filling the letters with a colour I
    want to fill it with a picture. So when I look at each individual letter I
    see a part of the picture..

    I used the Horizontal type mask tool, then I used paste into to put the
    picture into the words.
    However, I don't seem to be able to make the letters right, they always seem
    rather narrow. Obviously if the letter is too thin you won't be able to
    tell what the picture is.

    Is there anyway I can make the letters wider so that it will fit more of the
    picture in it, thus enabling people to see what it is easier?

    I hope you understand what I am trying to do and I hope you can help me.

    I appreciate any help or information given.

    Neil Hindry, Nov 11, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Neil Hindry

    Reg Guest

    What you want is called a clipping group. Check it out in the PS help files.
    It's much more flexible than using the type mask tool.

    As for the text, you should probably use a thicker font. You could also rasterize
    the text and then stretch it with edit > transform > scale.
    Reg, Nov 11, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Neil Hindry

    clive Guest

    Have a look at where she has, amongst her numerous
    tutorials, one doing exactly what you want. Good luck with it.

    clive, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Neil Hindry

    edjh Guest

    Use the regular type tool so the type is editable.

    Place your picture on a layer above the type. Alt-click on the line
    between the layers in the Layers Palette to Group the layers. That
    should do it.

    If the letters are too thin use a bold font or choose Faux Bold from the
    Character Palette. You can also play with letter width and spacing form
    that palette but the bottom line is that some fonts will give you good
    results and some won't, so choose accordingly.
    edjh, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Neil Hindry

    Kingdom Guest

    The trick here is to choose the right font, you need a really big chunky
    block font to start with, normal fonts are just to thin. It works well
    ND and there will be many more, try searching the font sites.
    Kingdom, Nov 11, 2004
  6. Neil Hindry

    Peadge Guest

    Select the picture you want to be inside the text by pressing CTRL+A or go
    to Edit>Select All. Then click on the type layer in which you want the image
    to appear and use the magic wand tool to select all the text. Then go to
    Edit>Paste Into (SHFT+CTRL+V). This will create a layer mask placing the
    image inside the text. You can move the image around to wherever looks best
    and then link the layer mask to the image in the same layer to be able to
    move them together.

    Now this mask is not a "vector mask' but the method is easy. If you want a
    vector mask, convert the text to a shape, click on the mask icon to create a
    vector mask. The select the image layer and drag the vector mask to the mask

    Peadge :)
    Peadge, Nov 12, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.