Old Photoshop 4 question about Raw Files

Discussion in 'Photography Chat' started by Bruce in Tampa, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Bruce in Tampa

Bruce in Tampa

I have an obviously old Windows version of Photoshop 4, and just started shooting RAW (instead of JPG) on a Canon 40D. (I am going to upgrade Photoshop by year end) The files are coming into Photoshop as CR2 file types from the camera. Photoshop doesn't recognize them / won't let me open them. I tried bringing them in via a Canon application and also tried using Photoshop, neither way made a difference. When I searched the Adobe site, all mentions to the Raw plug file say it started with version of Photoshop after 4, so I didn't know if I should use that file with Photoshop 4.

Any suggestions? I imagine this is a real basic question and I did try to figure it out first. And wouldn't you know it, the first time I choose RAW, it was the Space Shuttle launch in Florida last night. I still have them on the card, so I can re-download the right way, once I figure out what that is.

Thanks in advance.

ADDED 11/16

I believe I may have figured out an answer, if not the right one. I am guessing that Photoshop 4 was prior to the ability of Photoshop to convert camera manufacturer's RAW file format to Photoshop format. If any of you know the answer, I would appreciate knowing, but for now I am going to have a friend upload from my camera to their Photoshop CS3 and convert to Photoshop RAW format, then copy to disk. I think I can then work with them in PS4 until I can buy a newer version.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    Bruce in Tampa, Nov 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question