One card to capture S-video AND Firewire input ?

Discussion in 'Video Cameras' started by PeteD, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. PeteD

    PeteD Guest

    Hi - can anyone help please - is there a card on the market which
    enables capture of S-video (or composite Hi8) - AND with firewire input

    I have lots of Analog video on Hi8 tapes which I want to edit on PC -
    so need a capture device.
    I'm planning to upgrade to digital camcorder, so will soon need
    firewire input.

    So I wondered if there is a one-card-does-all solution ?

    Current camcorder is Sony, PC is Dell desktop, with only USB input, no
    other capture connections.

    Thanks in advance
    PeteD, Mar 15, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. I've got a Leadtek winfast DV2000 here.

    I'm very happy with it for the price - it takes s-video, and rgb, and
    stero audio inputs. It has a UKTV tuner as well as an FM tuner plus
    all software to act as a PVR (along with ULead videostudio 7SE and
    ULead DVD writing software). There's also a remote (with batteries)
    and a remote IR receiver with a bit of velcro.

    Finally, it comes with a TI chipset which allows 3 firewire inputs.
    One socket is supplied on the backplane of the card (a 6 pin), and if
    you need more it comes with a separate backplane (just a blanking
    plate really) that has a connector going to the DV2000 motherboard.
    That supplies another 2 firewire sockets - a 6 pin and a 4 pin.

    PC World component centre have them for £45 :

    You'll probably want a machine running at least 2ghz if you want to
    use it reliably as a full screen capture PVR application. I mostly use
    it for the firewire inputs though ;-)

    Cheers - Neil
    Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media], Mar 15, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. PeteD

    Margaret Guest

    One solution is to make sure you buy a digital camcorder with an
    analogue pass through. I've the one on our Canon 600i and it works fine.
    (You have to take the tape out to do it.) Simple firewire cards are
    so cheap. If you don't need a TV bit this may be enough.


    Remove "giggling" if replying by email
    Margaret, Mar 15, 2005
  4. PeteD

    PeteD Guest

    Thanks for the replies, when you say you have to take the tape out to
    do it - what do you mean ?
    Can you play a Hi8 tape in your Digital camcorder, and it is output via
    firewire as digital ?

    I've also found a couple of V-Stream products which may do the trick -
    dunno if anyone has any experience of them ??

    PeteD, Mar 15, 2005
  5. PeteD

    Mark Guest

    Buy a DVcam {now} which takes analogue-in as S-video , set the DVcam
    to pass-through mode, which usually means having no DV tape in it, use
    the A-D converter in the DVcam:

    Hi8 cam -> (S-video) -> miniDV-cam ->(Firewire) -> PC with 1394 card

    Mark, Mar 15, 2005
  6. PeteD

    PeteD Guest

    Thanks again for the help.
    The Canon MV750i for 350gbp is looking good - has all the features I
    think I may need in the future, plus has analog-in and analog to
    digital convertor & pass-through.

    One last question please - does an S-video cable aslo carry audio ? Or
    do you need separate audio cables ?

    My only experience of S-video is with the Pinnacle DC10+ card, which
    had no audio input - and I always had use extra cables from camera to
    sound card

    PeteD, Mar 16, 2005
  7. PeteD

    John Russell Guest

    This is where things get tricky. Cameras tend to have a unique socket for
    the analogue in out, which comes with a breakout lead containing both audio
    and video. If your lucky both cameras will use a mini-jacksocket, but I
    would'n't gurenntee that each socket would be wired the same allowing a
    multi-connection jackplug to jackplug lead to work. In which case you will
    need to phono to phono inline connectors, and s-video as well. You join the
    cables from each manufacturer together with the inline connectors, and then
    plug each end into the correct camera.
    John Russell, Mar 16, 2005
  8. PeteD

    PeteD Guest

    Update - have just been into Jessops to play with a Canon 750i, and the
    guy said to enable Hi8 to PC via a 750i, you have to first record the
    Hi8 onto MiniDV, then output to PC.

    Is this correct ? I'd assumed this could be done real-time, stil lwith
    the 750i between the Hi8 & PC, but with no MiniDV tape required ??

    And John, yes - I would need to do some work on the AV & audio cables

    PeteD, Mar 16, 2005
  9. PeteD

    Mark Guest

    If the 750i is like the 500i (and it's reasonable to assume that it
    is) then it can be done in real time (as pass-through) without any
    intermediate tape-dubbing step.

    I think the Jessops salesman is mistaken.

    Mark, Mar 17, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.