OT(ish): How Was This Created

Discussion in 'Photoshop Tutorials' started by Jake, Jul 20, 2008.

  1. Jake

    Jake Guest

    I recently found an online Flash game called 'Samorost' (it's been around a
    while though). The images in the game are pretty cool and I am trying to
    determine out how they were created. Here are some screenshots:

    I am thinking that the images are a hybrid between traditional art and CG.
    Anyone come across this type of art before that can shed some light?
    Jake, Jul 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. Jake

    John Guest

    Looks like straightforward art to me. The hybrid feel might come from
    the use of some geometric shapes. They look a bit more regular than
    other drawn objects.
    John, Jul 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. This looks like simple masking of items from photos taken around a scrapyard
    and then collaged together.
    You could create this same effect with a load of photographs, a pair of
    scissors and a pot of glue.
    The others look like the same technique, merged with some traditional
    hand-made art and 3d bass-releifs.

    Pretty cool effect. I like it.
    Is the game any good?
    \(used to be\) Fat Sam, Jul 20, 2008
  4. Jake

    Jake Guest

    I was thinking the same. Some of it looks like the following pic, which was
    created in Shade/Photoshop:

    Looking at screenshots of their next game, it looks like they have a good
    traditional art background:

    If you like point and click flash puzzle games, then it's good. I prefer
    the games by Mateusz Skutnik though (Submachine series, Covert Front series,
    Fog Fall, etc.).

    Samorost 2 stops half way through though and you have to buy the full
    version to finish it.
    Jake, Jul 20, 2008
  5. Jake

    tacit Guest

    Looks like a composite of a bunch of photographs, with a bit of color
    manipulation. In the image at


    the large gear-like structure on the left is part of the aming mechanism
    for a post-Civil-War-era cannon; I've taken a photograph of a nearly
    identical structure myself at a place called Ft. Desoto in Florida. The
    large structure on the right looks like an old coal-fired boiler. The
    thing on top is a rusted-out muffler from an old car. The two objects on
    the lower left are the control switches from large hydraulic equipment
    of some sort.
    tacit, Jul 20, 2008
  6. If I had to guess at the technique used for that one, I'd say it was
    initially a 3d rendering, with soem heavy retouching in PS afterwards.
    \(used to be\) Fat Sam, Jul 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.