Phillips PCS 130 enlarger assembly help required.

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by a, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. a

    a Guest

    I bought one of these enlargers and have 2 things left - a piece of
    glass 1/4 of an inch thick and about the size of a multigrade filter and
    a silver metal thumb screw.

    Can anyone enlighten me as to where in the enlarger these go?

    Thanks for your help.
    a, Sep 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. a

    Morton Klotz Guest

    I believe it is a heat absorbing filter that goes in front of one of
    the light bulbs. Not sure exactly how as it is a long time since I had
    one of these enlargers. As for the thumb screw, look for a hole it
    fits in.
    Morton Klotz, Sep 23, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. The piece of glass probably is the one that should be in the filter drawer
    (located about 3 inches above the negative holder, with the impression
    "PHILIPS colour enlarger PCS130"). Push back the top of the panel under the
    filter drawer (you feel spring pressure), pull out the drawer and place the
    glass. As far as I know, it's part of the optical condensor system and it
    supports the multigrade filters..
    I'm not sure about the screw you mention. There should be a blank metal
    screw high at the back side of the enlarger column (what do you call this
    part in english? ;) ), that probably fastens the spring that ensures a
    smooth up and down movement of the enlarger head.

    Hope this helps you.
    Han Schutten en Minke van Manen, Sep 24, 2004
  4. a

    Jeremy Guest

    Well, two half-answers so I'll give you a third option;

    The piece of glass sounds like the heat absorbing glass that sits in
    the filter tray, if you are using filters these should go below the
    glass. The glass itself is not part of the optical system (i.e. does
    not act as a condenser) and can be removed if you are using the PCS150
    light source which does not generate the same amount of heat.

    The screw could be the one used to hold the swing-out filter beneath
    the lens in place (you may have interchanged this with the one holding
    the spring in place on the column, or maybe one of the cable-grip ones
    inside the head) if it's a very long one then it holds the two halves
    of the head together (there should be two and they screw in from

    If you go to there are scans of
    the manual in the files area (you may have to sign up to see them
    Jeremy, Sep 26, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.