Photo Archive and US Copyright Registration

Discussion in 'Photography' started by R. Anvil, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. R. Anvil

    R. Anvil Guest

    I'm working with a non-profit historic organization that has a photo
    collection with no copyright registration. I'm assuming I can scan the
    photos and submit a CD or DVD with the registration form. Is this right? Can
    you point me in the direction of more specific photo copyright registration
    details (not understanding the government's language)?
    R. Anvil, Jun 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. R. Anvil

    McLeod Guest

    Maybe I'm totally out of it but I don't know if you have any right to
    copyright something just because it's in your collection. Only the
    person who created the image can copyright it, or someone assigned by
    them, and if they have been dead for 50 years there is no copyright
    left on the material. (Except for Walt Disney, where the govt
    apparently rewrote the law to give the corporation continued
    McLeod, Jun 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. For information on U.S. copyright law and procedures, go to The information there is not in legalese. In
    any event, you may need a lawyer to help you.
    Marvin Margoshes, Jun 22, 2004
  4. R. Anvil

    R. Anvil Guest

    Easy. We bought the copyright. Copyright's are transferable.
    R. Anvil, Jun 22, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.