Photograms without an Enlarger..Light Bulb Wattage?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by mrg, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. mrg

    mrg Guest

    I have been creating a few photograms in my darkroom with a regular
    incandescent 40watt bulb, but I have to flash the light for only a second to
    get a descent print. I was wondering if anyone has made photograms at home
    without an enlarger, and what type and/or bulb wattage should I use? Does
    the light need to be diffused? I'm going to attempt to use a 20watt bulb,
    but I know there has to be a better way to get the photograms I'm looking for.
    .. any suggestions?
    mrg, Dec 4, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Try a 7 1/2 watt 'ping-pong ball' size light bulb, about
    3ft+ from the paper. If this is too much light then apply
    masking tape to the bulb.

    If you need very sharp shadows then you need a point source.
    Try a Mag-Lite [the fancy $$ aluminum ones] penlight. The
    reflector screws off, leaving sort of a candle affair with a
    tiny little halogen lamp on the top. The removed reflector then
    doubles as a stand for the 'candle'.

    If you are going to be doing a lot of this sort of work then
    look on ebay for a 'nuArc point source printing lamp'.
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Dec 4, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. mrg

    mrg Guest

    I tried a 4watt bulb (you know those little night light bulobs) and it's
    working out great. Thanks for your help!
    mrg, Dec 4, 2005
  4. You can also try using an electronic flash pointed upward, away from the
    paper. I once did full body photograms of my kids when they were little
    by having them lie on a long piece of enlarger paper cut from a roll.
    If the flash is too bright cover it with diffuser or colored acetate.
    Robert Feinman, Dec 5, 2005
  5. mrg

    seog Guest

    Have they forgiven you yet?
    I think you're onto something with your "Conceptual Photography". It's only
    a matter of time before you're the king of SOHO. Before long you'll be
    delivering your latest masterpieces in a Range Rover, dressed in black (you,
    not the RR) smoking a big smelly, pretentious cigar. Then you will be an
    artiste! You'll have to change your name of course. Something like Robert
    (as in Flaubert) of Paree. Oui?

    Natural Light Black and White Photography
    seog, Dec 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.