photoshop 7.0 - changing the ruler scale to fit the image scale

Discussion in 'Photoshop Tutorials' started by ttmh, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. ttmh

    ttmh Guest


    anyone know how to make the ruler scale fit the scale of the image?

    I have scanned in a floorplan, and want to draw some more walls onto
    it, but the ruler scale doesn't seem to adjust to the scale of the
    plan. So when I know my new wall has to be 850mm in life, how long do
    i draw it on the plan?

    For instance, I have on the drawn plan, a wall length 1400mm. The
    ruler shows its length on the scanned-in image to be 2.75mm. How do I
    get the ruler to show 1400mm? Ideally, one would be able to do this
    by dragging the ruler out to the correct values - even to be able to
    drag it to 140, or 14 would help!

    I know how to do this longhand, by working out a scaling factor and
    manually calculating each measurement, but surely photoshop can do
    this for me - can't it?!!


    ttmh, Feb 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. ttmh

    Eric Gill Guest

    (ttmh) wrote in
    Use a CAD package.

    Sure, you can fiddledick with something made as an image editor, and
    through trial and error, get a methodology that works - kinda of. But why
    go to all the trouble just to get part of what you need?

    Eric Gill, Feb 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. ttmh

    ttmh Guest

    ok, I guessed that one!
    recomendations for a basic cad that does this please Eric?
    and do I assume that it CAN'T be done in Photoshop?
    ttmh, Feb 7, 2005
  4. ttmh

    Brian Guest


    Do you have Illustrator or CorelDraw? CorelDraw can definitely do what
    you are asking, so I would think Illustrator could too? Illustrator has
    the drawing ability, I am just not sure if its rulers can be calibrated.
    They can in C/Draw.

    Brian, Feb 8, 2005
  5. ttmh

    Brian Guest

    2 other alternatives are Microsoft Visio and SmartDraw. These will both
    allow you to create and/or edit floorplans, with relative easy. Just
    drag and drop components onto the desktop, even furniture and fittings
    if that is what you want to do!

    Brian, Feb 8, 2005
  6. ttmh

    ttmh Guest

    thanks Brian, as photoshop won't do it, i'll check out the other 2.
    ps, anyone know if photoshop CS will do it?
    ttmh, Feb 11, 2005
  7. ttmh

    Harry Limey Guest

    Don't think so - I suggest you try Serif Draw - it is one of the cheaper
    programmes but very easy to use and if you go to this site you can download
    the older versions of all their software!! The free version is Draw 4 whilst
    the current version is Draw 7 so things have moved on a bit since then!
    Harry Limey, Feb 11, 2005
  8. ttmh

    Eric Gill Guest

    (ttmh) wrote in
    No, and it's unlikely to do so in the future.

    Look - Photoshop is exactly the wrong *kind* of software for such an
    application. If Adobe ever looks to get into the CAD business - unlikely,
    but stranger things have happened - it's utterly certain they'll release a
    CAD application, not graft some of the features onto PSP, which is ill-
    suited for the task.
    Eric Gill, Feb 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.