printing your own 35mm slides

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Ian Hurst (Troyka), Sep 26, 2004.

  1. hello has anyone got any info on printing your own 35mm slides?
    i want to make some on my pc and print them to transparency paper

    they will have text on them as well as some form of image.

    is there a tutorial out there? or a template for word or whatever i
    need to use?


    Ian Hurst (Troyka), Sep 26, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Ian Hurst (Troyka)

    gord Guest

    you need to scan them into the PC either with a flat bed or film scanner.
    The film scanner will definitely give you the best results. I think that
    some photo stores also offer this service although not sure.

    Photoshop would probably be the best software to use but it is $$$. MS photo
    editor will do the job but it is very limited. It comes with XP and 98.

    gord, Sep 26, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Ian Hurst (Troyka)

    D.R. Guest

    MS Photo Editor doesn't come with Win98. It comes with MS Office.
    D.R., Sep 26, 2004
  4. Ian Hurst (Troyka)

    gord Guest

    sorry my apologies
    gord, Sep 26, 2004
  5. Ian Hurst (Troyka)

    D.R. Guest

    Weird, Photo Editor is not installed by default with Office. It's a great
    program. I always have to select it manually when installing Office '97/2000.
    D.R., Sep 26, 2004
  6. hello has anyone got any info on printing your own 35mm slides?
    I think what you're saying is that you want to actually print slides, not
    make prints from slides. If so, I think you'll find the results quite poor
    from most photo printers, although in theory you could print on a bit of
    transparency and put it in a 35mm mount.

    We've used a service with very good results in the past, at about £2 per
    slide. I have no idea what kind of machines are used, but it will be some
    kind of extremely high resolution film printer. I'm sure you can search for
    one. But unless you are planning to provide the service professionally, the
    machine will almost certainly be unaffordable. Better to send the files away
    to a service. I don't have the address here I'm afraid, write if you can't
    find a local service and I'll dig it up!
    Martin Bishop, Sep 27, 2004
  7. Ian Hurst (Troyka)

    Hunt Guest

    Though answered in the Photoshop NG, I'll go over it again for you here, as
    others might use the info. The machine to do this is a film recorder and most
    will do other sizes than 35mm, with proper options. They can do 35mm slides,
    or 35mm negatives from digital images. They are expensive to purchase, and you
    still have to have the film processed. Most commercial photo labs offer the
    service, though it is slowly being phased out, as more clients use laptops and
    projectors now, and 35mm projection diminishes. Get all info on size
    requirements from the lab of your choice, so you don't pay THEM for correcting
    your files. Resolution #'s for film recorders differs from that of most
    printing, so read the instructions well. Do all your imaging and text work on
    your computer, then Save_As whatever the lab tells you to use, in the exact
    size, and resolution they instruct. Take the CD/ZIP/Whatever to them, and they
    do all the work from there.

    Printing to an inkjet transparency will never yield good results, though,
    depending on your purpose and critical eye, might get you by.

    Hunt, Sep 27, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.