Problems converting 59.94 fps HuffYuv progressive video to 29.97 interlaced

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by Doc, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Doc

Doc Guest

Originally captured a VHS tape to DV avi. I used the Avisynth QTGMC deinterlace filter via Virtual to create a 59.94 fps progressive avi, converted from DV to HuffYuv.

I don't have the original 29.97 fps DV capture file so I want to convert the 59.94 progressive to 29.97 interlaced to go to DVD. Yes, I could just make a 29.97 progressive DVD but that means throwing out half the motion information and I want to avoid doing that.

However, nothing I've tried gives me a properly interlaced file. I've triedthe Avisynth interlacing filter using this script

SetMemoryMax(768)
    SetMTMode(3, 4)
    FFMpegSource2("sourcefile.avi", atrack=-1)
    AssumeBFF()
    SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).Weave()

With both BFF and TFF specified but after rendering to mpeg-2 with Vegas Pro 8 and final processing in Vegas DVD Architect Studio to DVD, I end up with wave or ripple artifacts.

I've also tried the built in interlacer with Virtualdub specifying a progressive source and get the same thing whether I specify even or odd field first.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? How would you do this?

Thanks.

Doc, Sep 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Doc

Brian Guest

Why would you want to capture in such a high frame rate?

Brian, Sep 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Doc

Doc Guest

It was captured at standard 29.97 fps then *converted* to 59.94 for upconversion to make a 720p Blu-Ray. I.e. did VHS capture, deinterlaced and converted to HuffYuv to do various noise reduction, color correcting and sharpening - then pillarboxed the 4:3 image to a 16:9 image.

I want to send the video to someone but they only have a DVD player, no Blu-Ray so looking to create a DVD.

Doc, Sep 6, 2013
  4. Doc

Brian Guest

Maybe you need to find out at what stage your getting the ripple artifacts.
    Does this occur when you play back the mpeg-2 file?
    Are you able to get the original VHS tape. There is a limit to how much you
    can improve a VHS recording.
    You could try and make a 29.97 progressive DVD and check the results as it
    may not be as bad as you think. It might also be the only way since you
    don't have the DV recording.

Brian, Sep 6, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question