Question on external microphone

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by Matt, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I'm looking for an external directional microphone for my camera.
    The camera has a 1/8" line in. So far the mics I've found are XLR..
    can anyone recommend a good directional microphone with a 1/8" jack on
    Matt, Dec 20, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. That's like deciding which vehicle to buy because it fits
    your spare radiator cap. If you need to use an XLR mic
    on your mini-phone jack camcorder, use an adapter cable
    (or adapter box).

    Some circuits for making cables on my website...

    A typical adapter box used by many of us...
    Similar products likely available from others...
    Richard Crowley, Dec 20, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Go to RadioShack and buy you an adapter, they make them, I use them
    everyday, from XLR to Mini, and everything else.

    FYI: Just watch the tension on the audio cable coming out from your camera.

    minstrel80232, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Matt

    Ty Ford Guest

    Well if it's a line in, a mic won't have enough juice to push that input
    anyway. Is it mono or stereo? It's probably a stereo line input. If it is,
    you can't use a mono mic with it unless you get a special cable made up. No,
    a standard XLR to TRS won't work.

    I don't know of a good quality directional mic (I'm assuming you're talking
    about a shotgun) that ends in a 1/8" TRS plug. At that level, the mfgrs
    figure you don't really want to pay for quality.

    Having said all this, I think Audio Technica makes a low end battery powered
    shotgun that ends in a 1/8" TRS. Haven't used it, but have seen it. Again,
    we don't know if it'll work with your camera due to not knowing if the input
    can actually be set to mic.

    Do some menu and manual diving and get back to us. What camera is it?



    **Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
    Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
    For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
    click on
    Ty Ford, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Look at the Sennheiser MKE-300 - not bad, very light, about $175,
    and its mono 1/8" plug will give you "dual mono" with most stereo
    inputs on Mini-DV camcorders (and it is capacitively isolated from
    the DC output of some camcorder input jacks [used to power some
    David Ruether, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Matt

    Robert Strom Guest

    I bought the other option , the Azden SGM-X which also is specifically
    designed for camcorders with a 1/8 external mic plug.

    I would have bought the MK300, but I had read a few reports that the
    mic picked up camera noise.

    Well, to my annoyance, so does the SGM-X when used with the supplied
    hot shoe holder.

    I have a nice Audio Technika shockmount holder I use for my fishpole
    and found a hot shoe adpater from Trew Audio that allowed me to use my
    3/8" threaded shockmount.

    Now, no camera noise, but a slightly larger load on the top of my

    Robert Storm

    Robert Strom, Dec 24, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.