Recharge D200 from 12V?

Discussion in 'Digital SLR' started by Roy Smith, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. Roy Smith

    Roy Smith Guest

    Can a D200's batteries be recharged from a 12V DC source
    (i.e. cigarette lighter outlet on a car or boat)?
    Roy Smith, Apr 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Why not? I think the bigger question is whether a charger is available to do

    Might I suggest this one:

    It comes included with a Cigarette Lighter Adapter Car Kit.
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Roy Smith

    Randy Howard Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote
    Or, you could save a lot of money buying extra adapters and
    simply get an inverter for a cigarette lighter plug. They are
    very cheap, and will take a lot of different wall warts (and
    computers) with a single purchase.
    Randy Howard, Apr 26, 2006
  4. Roy Smith

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    I use a power inverter to get 110V AC from the cigarette lighter outlet, and
    have charged my camera battery with it many times.
    Jeremy Nixon, Apr 26, 2006
  5. Roy Smith

    Roy Smith Guest

    I'm planning to be at sea for a few days. I'm sure the boat will have 12V
    available, but I'm sure not shlepping an inverter with me. A cord with a
    cigarette lighter plug on one end and something that plugs into the camera
    somewhere to charge the batteries in-place the would be ideal.
    Roy Smith, Apr 27, 2006
  6. Roy Smith

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    What's your standard for "shlepping"? My inverter is 6x4.5 inches, not
    really anything large. If your cargo limits are tight, that plus the
    charger might be too much, I guess, but I don't think it's going to
    happen any other way (unless the boat has its own 110V source).
    Yes, but I don't think it exists.
    Jeremy Nixon, Apr 27, 2006
  7. Roy Smith

    Don Wiss Guest

    Not directly. The charger uses 100-240 volt input. Output, which goes
    directly to the battery prongs, is 8.4v. Plus the charger is intelligent,
    which you can only get by using it. So the inverter suggestion is the only

    Don <> (e-mail link at page bottoms).
    Don Wiss, Apr 27, 2006
  8. I believe that's hopeless; there aren't any charge-control circuits in
    the camera, the system is designed for the batteries to be charged
    externally. Nikon does make a 12V charger, as I remember it, but it's
    ridiculously expensive. Another example of why I hate proprietary
    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 27, 2006
  9. Roy Smith

    Doug Payne Guest

    Look for a 3rd-party CTA charger for EN-EL3 batteries; they come with a
    12V adapter. (You can charge a D200 battery in an older MH-18 style
    charger; the extra pin is only for battery status and has nothing to do
    with charging).
    Doug Payne, Apr 27, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.