Recommend some good External Fieewire Hard Disk Drive enclosuresfor editing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Video Production' started by eb7g, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    With regards to the many new external exclosures allowing you to put any
    size hard drive in there (note talking about the single unit dedicated
    external hard drives), I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend any to
    use for video editing and file storage?

    I'm talking about items like:


    Ideally, it would be for video editing from my desktop/laptop and
    digital camcorder.

    IS IT POSSIBLE to plug the camcorder into the Ext Drive via firewire and
    then firewire it again to my laptop, so that it will capture video into
    the drive, yet be controlled by the laptop?

    How do we know if an enclosure will allow this? Something like this?

    and will the software support it? I.e. Adobe Premiere, or Sony DVgate?

    If it works out the way I think it does, can someone recommend some
    fair/low priced models to me?

    Thank you.
    eb7g, Dec 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. I use an ADS Pyro box with Maxtor 80 and 120Gb drives. The Enclosure
    (Box) has 2 6pin Firewire (IEEE1394) sockets in the back that allows
    you to connect one to the DV cam and the other to your Desktop/Laptop
    firewire socket. You will still be able to control the cam from your
    Harry Fechner, Dec 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    You bring up a good point.

    Most of these enclosures don't use external power supplies, they are
    powered by the USB or the Firewire cable/connection.

    The 6 pin firewire has 2 pins that are actually power supplying pins.
    However, my laptop and many DV cameras are 4 pin. Using a 6 to 4 pin
    cable, will the drive work? What will power it?
    eb7g, Dec 31, 2003
  4. eb7g

    mikep76 Guest

    The ADS Pyro has a built-in power supply, running off of 110v power.
    I have 3 of them, and have one with a DVD-ROM drive in it, another
    with a DVD Burner in it, and a third with a large hard drive in it.
    All work great, so you don't have to worry about powering them with
    your laptop.

    However, if I recall, the ADS Pyro and probably most others run off of
    110v/60 cycle power only. If you are going to take one of them
    outside of the US (Europe, etc.) you will need to carry a power
    converter, or get something with a universal (switching) power supply.

    I also have a Kanguru external drive which has a universal power
    supply and can be configured to use a PCMCIA connection, a firewire
    port connection, a parallel port, etc. Remember that not all of these
    connections are high-speed, however, and each configuration requires a
    separate cable/adapter setup.

    If you only need it for US use, the Pyro is very good, but you must be
    careful to keep the software CD which comes with must run
    the small re-configuration routine each time you wish to switch
    between a hard drive and an optical drive. Others who had forgotten
    that couldn't get a CD or DVD player or burner to work when they
    switched out their hard drive and installed the optical drive.
    mikep76, Dec 31, 2003
  5. eb7g

    Stoic Guest

    Have you considered the newer SATA external enclosures...

    If the specs are correct, these will toast firewire and USB 2.0.

    Bait for spammers:
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    Stoic, Dec 31, 2003
  6. eb7g

    Ed Guest

    Sorry I don't know the brand, but I got a couple of the generic, store-brand
    ones at CompUSA and they work very well. Have an internal power supply. I
    also like that the on/off button is on the front. They have 2 6-pin firewire
    connectors. I daisy chain them together with one having a Pioneer 104 and
    the other having a large hard drive.
    Ed, Dec 31, 2003
  7. eb7g

    Jason Dunn Guest

    IS IT POSSIBLE to plug the camcorder into the Ext Drive via firewire and
    Yes, I've done exactly that, using a PCMCIA Firewire card where both the
    hard drive (Maxtor) and the miniDV camera were connected. Worked like a
    charm, zero dropped frames. :)
    Jason Dunn, Dec 31, 2003
  8. eb7g

    Gilly Guest

    Gilly, Jan 2, 2004
  9. eb7g

    DV shooter Guest

    The subject indicates you want it for editing. Well it is usb, so by
    definition, you should not even think about it for editing. Only
    firewire drives are recomended for editing. That is not to say that it
    would not work, just not usually recomended. Also, it is only 20 gig.
    I would only consider 60 gig and higher for editing storage.

    On the plus side, it does not need an external power source. That is a
    good thing.
    DV shooter, Jan 2, 2004
  10. eb7g

    mikep76 Guest

    I don't think you are both singing from the same sheet of music ;-)

    Jason asked if you could plug the comcorder directly into the external
    hard drive, and then plug the hard drive into the laptop to control
    both hard drive and camcorder.

    Your answer talks about Plugging both the camcorder and the hard drive
    into the two firewire ports on your firewire PCMCIA card in the

    The answer may still be the same, that either configuration allows
    laptop control of the capture process, but before Jason buys anything,
    perhaps you could try his configuration by plugging ONLY the hard
    drive into the PCMCIA firewire card and plugging the camcorder into
    the second firewire port on the hard drive, and trying to control the
    capture process from the laptop in this configuration, just to be
    mikep76, Jan 2, 2004
  11. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

    I am considering buying a Sony PD150 (camcorder) and a DSC-V1 (camera)
    from an authorized Sony Dealer in the US (better price and not grey market).

    I am wondering if the US warranty will cover me in Canada? Can I still
    register for it and in which Country (Canada preferred). And would I
    have to ship the item back to the US if anything goes wrong?

    Most dealers would prefer that I buy in Canada and tell me that if I buy
    it in the US, then I get no warranty. Of course, I'm looking for offical
    word on that.

    Are there such things as internatinal warranties?
    eb7g, Jan 2, 2004
  12. Probably. If it wasn't sold with a Canadian warranty, Sony of Canada
    really has no obligation to service it. Sony in the US offers the
    warranty, not them. Often warranties offered in Canada are longer than
    those offered in the US as well. Typically in Canada the minimum is one
    year, and things like televisions get a 3 or 5 year warranty.

    And if it has anything that requires a CSA approval, they won't even
    touch it, nor will most repair shops. Too many liability issues, and
    this issue goes way back...
    Yes, there are, but not every company offers them. And that even
    depends on the product. And it'll usually say right on the warranty.
    the terminator, Jan 3, 2004
  13. My recent experience with a D-Link Camera sold in Canada by a US company
    illustrates this point. D-Link Canada says that since the camera is not
    officially marketed in Canada, no one there has any knowledge of it and
    they will not honor warranty or be able to provide support. I found the
    US support people to be equally as knowledgable :)
    Chris Phillipo, Jan 3, 2004
  14. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    Say, another question.

    Say we put in a large HD, like 80GB to 120 GB. Keeping that we want to
    do some video editing in mind, how should we partition the drive? Does
    it matter which partition is first (the other smaller partition will be
    for data storage).

    What should we use to partition? Fdisk to format first? Then Partition
    magic, or entirely in FDISK?

    eb7g, Jan 4, 2004
  15. eb7g

    Cyrus Afzali Guest

    Use Partition Magic -- it's much more flexible and easy to use. As far
    as partition size, that's a matter of opinion to a degree. But one
    easy option would be to equally split a 120GB drive into 3, 40GB
    Cyrus Afzali, Jan 26, 2004
  16. You might want to think about creating a small, dedicated partition for
    the Windows swap space (the space used by virtual memory) to increase
    performance. I also have a partition for Photoshop's swap space. At one
    time I even kept a 650mb partition for all my "life and death" files
    which I just backed up to a CD from time to time. Now that I have
    multiple hard drives I just back up from one drive to the other, so that
    if one drive dies I'll still have the backups on a second drive. Won't
    help in case of fire/flood/theft, but otherwise I should be ok.
    James Messick, Jan 26, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.