Replacement lens cap for EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras' started by Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. Lost the lens cap for my Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM. Need to get
    another one urgently in the next few days. The filter size is 58mm.

    Is there any particular part-number or model-number for the lens cap?
    I've seen the following description for one lens cap at Park Cameras:

    "Canon E58U Lens Cap for EF Lenses with USM"

    I'm assuming that this is for 58mm filter-sized lenses and that it
    will fit my lens. Is that correct?

    Thanks in advance!

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Website :
    Contact :

    Blog :
    Experimental :

    Brain! Brain! What is brain?!
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Mar 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. The only thing it says on the inside of the cap is E-58mm Kulvinder.

    Tony Gartshore, Mar 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Ray Paseur Guest


    See if you can get a Nikon center-click lens cap. I got them for all my
    (Canon) lenses that use hoods. Because your fingers move the spring-
    loaded operator at the center of the cap instead of the edge, you can
    put them on easily by just reaching inside the hood.

    In USA, I would buy this:

    Until you get a replacement, keep the hood on and pull a plastic bag
    over the front of the lens. Good luck! ~Ray
    Ray Paseur, Mar 2, 2008
  4. Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Mar 2, 2008
  5. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Pudentame Guest

    You ought to be able to find a replacement from any local camera shop,
    even the chain stores.
    Pudentame, Mar 2, 2008
  6. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Pudentame Guest

    Even the center-operated Nikon type lens caps can be difficult if the
    hood isn't the type that's cut away at the sides.

    For that, there's a neoprene boot type lens cover that stretches over
    the hood when it's in place.
    Pudentame, Mar 2, 2008
  7. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Jim Guest

    Just go to the closest camera store and buy a 58mm lens cap. All you get
    from a name brand cap is more conspicuous consumtion.
    Jim, Mar 2, 2008
  8. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Ray Paseur Guest

    Jim: YMMV, of course, but I have tried some of the brand-X caps and found
    them to be flimsy and ill-fitting. Eventually I replaced them with good
    quality caps away rather than risk losing them if they popped off the lens.
    When the difference is $5 or $10, it was hard for me to justify the
    savings. I like the Nikon center-click caps, and find they fit pretty well
    on all my lenses. But if I found myself without a cap, I agree - even the
    cheapest is better than none! ~Ray
    Ray Paseur, Mar 2, 2008
  9. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Paul Furman Guest

    Or just annoying fumbling around trying to get it on the lens.
    I got some of those new ones for my old nikkors and oddly they don't fit
    properly, often getting jammed at an angle. I don't know why, 52mm
    should be the same. They work great on the newer lenses though.
    Paul Furman, Mar 2, 2008
  10. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    In an emergency, I use a UV filter or some other filter that screws into the
    58mm thread. I'd sooner pay $20 - $50 for a new filter than shell out for a
    new lens...

    Take Care,
    Dudley Hanks, Mar 3, 2008
  11. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Jim Guest

    What happened to me was that I lost the cap for my 18-70mm lens somewhere in
    the airport at Charleston, SC. Alas, I discovered the loss just as I was
    getting on
    the plane. So, when I got back, I went to my local camera store to buy a
    replacement. People lose caps every day; there has to be plenty around

    However, this lens uses a size that was new to Nikon, and there were no
    Nikon caps anywhere (not even at B&H!). This of course was bothersome as
    (like the OP)
    I am afflicted with conspicous consumption. I just picked through their
    supply and found one that fit. The original cap was a slip on device, but
    the new one has threads.
    My lens still suffers from the indignity of not having a cap with Nikon
    imprinted thereon, but the cap works. Maybe, if I ever lose another one of
    these caps, I will replace
    it with cap with the name Nikon imprinted on it. On the other hand, maybe

    The lens in question did have a UV filter on it. The filter didn't say Nikon
    either. It is a Hoya.

    Jim, Mar 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.