ruby lith????

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by laran, Oct 8, 2009.

  1. laran

    laran Guest

    What is ruby lith? I need to find a source and don't even know what it
    is (using as my red filter for my enlarger - possibly)


    laran, Oct 8, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  2. Rubylith (one word) was (and still is, if it's still available) a trade
    name for transparent red masking film used in the graphic arts (notably
    in the making up of flats for offset printing, known as "stripping") as
    a photo-opaque film (orthochromatic photosensitive materials like offset
    printing plates are insensitive to red light). Cut-out areas in printing
    flat could be covered with Rubylith to eliminate printing marks on the
    plate caused by light exposure.

    From the Madison Avenue-ese "ruby" (meaning "red") + "lith" (as in
    offset lithography).
    David Nebenzahl, Oct 8, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  3. Yep, it's still available: f'rinstance,

    (a little pricey at this site--$213 for a 50 yard roll. Might want to
    shop around a little ...)
    David Nebenzahl, Oct 9, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.