Sensor Cleaning...I've commited the cardinal sin

Discussion in 'Photography Chat' started by jmiah22, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jmiah22

jmiah22

Tonight I was trying to blow dust off my Digital Rebel XT sensor...and commited the cardinal sin in the process. I used canned compressed air...and much to my horror...splattered some kind of propellant all over the filter in front of the sensor. Using a popsicle stick (with the end flattened) wrapped in really soft lint free microfiber cloth I was able to get most of it off, however with the lens wide open and against a bright object...I now have faint streaks. I did manage to remove most of the dust. Is there anyway of salvaging this? It was completely ignorant of me to ignore advice and use compressed air. It isn't at all noticable otherwise, only when the lens is wide open, such as at f22. I used a tiny short burt and it didn't freeze or anything, it just hit the filter and immediately evaporated. I ordered some sort of special cleaning swabs with a cleaning liquid. Is this advisable or is my camera destroyed? I just cannot believe I did something so stupid. This camera is a little over 2 years old and I haven't quite taken 3,000 pictures with it yet. I know this is probably closing the barn after the cow is gone...but does anybody have any advice for me as to how to get these streaks off the filter in front of the sensor? Will I need to send it to Canon to have them professionally clean it?

jmiah22, Aug 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question