Shots out of a helicopter- is there a permit required to publish them?

Discussion in 'Australia Photography' started by Gerhard Beulke, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. I know that I need a permit in Europe to publish photos taken from a
    plane or helicopter but don't know how it is handled here.
    Gerhard Beulke, Jun 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Gerhard Beulke

    Cameron Guest

    Unless you are photographing a restricted area (i.e military base) then you
    don't need a permit or anything similar.
    Cameron, Jun 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Gerhard Beulke

    Frank Warner Guest

    Umm National Parks (NSW) I think now require a permit ..if you thinking
    of making money from the photo/s
    Frank Warner, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Gerhard Beulke

    Cameron Guest

    Oh no, not this again!! :)

    Maybe you could argue that the stupid 'permit for taking commercial photos
    in a park' rule couldn't be enforced because you weren't in the park... ???

    Anyway, who would ever know?
    Cameron, Jun 10, 2004
  5. Gerhard Beulke

    RV Guest

    Go to CASA web site

    "Aerial Work"
    Some aspects do require a permit.

    If you just wish to sell the pictures you have taken from a helicopter
    merely in the course of a private flight would not require a permit as
    I read it.

    Only in the case you intend to solicit work taking shots from a
    helicopter you would then require a permit as it would be classed as
    "Aerial Work"
    And then a permit to advertise the service under another regulation
    covering advertising of "Aerial Work".

    RV, Jun 10, 2004
  6. Thanks Dave, Cameron and Frank.
    Gerhard Beulke, Jun 10, 2004
  7. Gerhard Beulke

    Phred Guest

    That argument should work in Qld at least. After all, our pollies
    had no problem flying around with a bottle of plonk. The problem
    emerged when they landed with it! :)

    Cheers, Phred.
    Phred, Jun 10, 2004
  8. Airwork is the class of aircraft operation. It has no effect on you
    taking photos. It was only a limit if you where taking photos with a
    mounted camera within some limit angle from vertical.

    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    West Australia 6076
    comp.os.vms,- The Older, Grumpier Slashdot
    Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.
    EPIC, The Architecture of the future, always has been, always will be.
    Paul Repacholi, Jun 10, 2004
  9. which applies to the operator of the aircraft, not to the photographer
    if iirc. If you're hiring an aircraft, they need to be licensed for
    aerial work. If you're offering yourself as an aerial photographer,
    you'd need to be licensed - or work closely with an aviation company
    with a suitable AOC.
    Andrew Hennell, Jun 10, 2004
  10. Gerhard Beulke

    RV Guest

    True the photograper him or herself does not need certifcation.
    my explanation just assumes anyone without an ongoing arrangment would
    be private use, and I doubt there would be anyone soliciting work
    without some ongoing arrangement with an aircraft operator, who as you
    point out, would need to be certified for aerial work if that where
    the case.

    Unless in the case you where using as UAV or RPV, but thats a whole
    other story.

    RV, Jun 11, 2004
  11. Gerhard Beulke

    Bushy Guest

    had no problem flying around with a bottle of plonk. The problem
    Wasn't a problem unless they left the airport.
    Ain't life great!
    Bushy, Jun 12, 2004
  12. Gerhard Beulke

    Phred Guest

    Yeah. That was the excuse Pete's spin doctors eventually came up
    with. My main complaint about the whole sorry episode is that it
    demonstrates what a bunch of incompetent bureaucrats we've got running
    the show (not to mention the lackadaisical parliamentarians who
    happily endorse the inane regulations fed to them).
    Cheers, Phred.
    Phred, Jun 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.