Sigma lens for film camera

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment' started by glorifiedpaperboy, Oct 17, 2010.

1. glorifiedpaperboy

glorifiedpaperboy

Hello,
    I have a Sigma 100-300 F/4 APO EX IF HSM lens that I purchased for my Canon EOS Elan 7e film camera. I have a couple of questions, I hope someone can help.
    First, can this lens be used with a DSLR and with good results? Secondly, I,m still contemplating whether to sell it or get a DSLR; does anyone have a value I could place on this lens if it's not suitable for a DSLR?

Thanks for your time,
    Jim

glorifiedpaperboy, Oct 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. glorifiedpaperboy

Rick Clark

Goooood Glass

That is a good lense I would buy a good DSLR body and have fun like I'm doing. I have 11 pentax lenses and I bought a Pentax K5 Body and now all my glass is getting used.:) Rick

Rick Clark, Jan 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. glorifiedpaperboy

Alan J

Sigma lens

In answer to your first question, yes but you are possibly going to have to buy an adapter to fit the DSLR. You are going to have to find out if one is available once you have made your choice of what DSLR. You could start by looking on ebay under Sigma lenses and the manufacturer of the camera. Be sure to read the small print as auto focus will not work, you will have to focus manually and visually. Don't rely on the scale for distance setting, it is different with digital. Also make sure that you can use the camera light metering as you may have to set the aperture also.

Second, as regards to value. Only thing to say is have a look on ebay. If you are a member, add any comparable lenses to your 'watch list' and when the auction has ended you get to see the price it fetched. You should get more than if you were take it to a camera shop. But beware, if you do not describe the item correctly, especially with regard to its condition. Ebay is well worth joining if for comparison only. There is a protection plan and its best to use Paypal.

Alan J, Feb 18, 2011
  4. glorifiedpaperboy

DavCal

Sigma lens for Canon DSLR.

He won't need an adapter as long as he sticks to Canon EOS and he won't have any choice as his lens is already in Canon mount. Sigma don't make adapter lenses; they are made in a mount to suit a camera brand but are not interchangeable. You can use Canon EF mount lenses on all Canon EOS cameras and EF-S lenses on all the smaller sensor cameras but you can't use EF-S lenses on the full frame models should he decide to buy a Mk. 5DII or similar. His AF and auto aperture will work normally. I know, I've done it.

DavCal, Apr 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question