So how toxic is it?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by Mike Scarpety, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. Recently (This morning) I got a mouth full of RA Developer.

    My Fujimoto processor had an issue and it was recommended
    I use a Turkey baster to correct it, lacking the necessary implement
    I substituted the hose from My Jobo foot pump.

    The idea being that I could syphon some of the chemistry into the
    hose and blow it back into the pump intake port (It was suspected there
    is an air bell in the pump causing it to overheat). In any event the
    chemistry back flowed and I got a mouth full, which I promptly spit out
    instead of swallowing. Furthermore I washed my mouth out. As of yet my
    lips have not turned green and I have yet to feel ill. I was just
    curious if anyone has an experience of similar analog nature ;-) they
    would like to share.

    Tomorrow I will address the problem, with the proper basting equipment
    in hand.
     
    Mike Scarpety, Mar 30, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Mike Scarpety

    Wayne Guest


    Your lips wont turn green until you proceed to the bleach step. Agitate
    for 4 minutes at 98.6 degrees, then rinse and fix as usual.
     
    Wayne, Mar 30, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Mike Scarpety

    dr bob Guest

    You did the right thing, getting rid of it as soon as you did. If you had
    thought a little more, you might have used a rinse of vinegar to reduce the
    rather caustic nature of the developer, but as the time is now past, and non
    was actually swallowed, you'll be fine - probably.

    I stupidly did a similar thing in college chem. lab with 6 Molar sulfuric
    acid - pipette came off the surface while under vacuum. Teeth were "mossy"
    for a few days but I'm fine now I'm fine now I'm fine now I'm fine now I'm
    fine now I'm fine now I'm fine now I'm fine now ....
     
    dr bob, Mar 30, 2005
    #3
  4. Mike Scarpety

    Lloyd Erlick Guest

    ....

    mar3005 from Lloyd Erlick,

    I had a similar experience with Rodinal. I was taking
    some out of the bottle with a pipette, and overdid the
    suction. I got a good shot, but did not swallow. I
    really thought I'd have some consequences due to the
    high concentration of potassium hydroxide in Rodinal.
    Maybe it's not so high; I had no consequences at all,
    except for the absolutely vile taste. I also did not
    have the presence of mind to swill a bit of stop bath,
    but, true to my normal darkroom practice, used many
    changes of tap water. The 'flavour' lingered for hours.

    reards,
    --le
    ________________________________
    Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
    voice: 416-686-0326
    email:
    net: www.heylloyd.com
    ________________________________
    --
     
    Lloyd Erlick, Mar 30, 2005
    #4
  5. Mike Scarpety

    Lloyd Erlick Guest

    mar3005 from Lloyd Erlick,

    It would probably be easy for people to assume stop
    bath, like other darkroom solutions, is not suitable
    for putting in one's mouth.

    It's true as a matter of routine, since stop bath
    usually does not originate with food grade materials.
    However, the usual supermarket white vinegar (the
    cheapest stuff there) is about a five per cent solution
    of acetic acid. Darkroom stop bath is normally diluted
    to less than two per cent. So a swill of stop will be
    much milder than a squirt of vinegar on a salad. The
    higher price condiment vinegars such as Balsamic are
    often six per cent acetic.

    A stop bath made from citric acid would also be
    relatively safe to swill in the mouth. Not many people
    would be able to drink the stuff, although it is used
    in many candies for a sour effect.

    regards,
    --le
    ________________________________
    Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
    voice: 416-686-0326
    email:
    net: www.heylloyd.com
    ________________________________
    --
     
    Lloyd Erlick, Mar 30, 2005
    #5
  6. Always put a plug of cotton wool into the mouth end of
    a pipette before use.
     
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Mar 30, 2005
    #6
  7. Mike Scarpety

    Ken Hart Guest

    From the MSDS for Kodak Ektacolor RA Developer replenisher RT:
    " Ingestion "
    " Part A, Part B, & Working solution: Induce vomiting as directed by medical
    personnal."

    However, I question whether you "ingested" it, since you spit it out and
    rinsed immediately.
    Usenet may not be the best place to get medical advice.

    Ken Hart
     
    Ken Hart, Mar 30, 2005
    #7
  8. Mike Scarpety

    Lloyd Erlick Guest


    mar3005 from Lloyd Erlick

    Makes sense to me!

    No doubt I wasn't paying attention to the first
    instructor who attempted to give me this advice. Sex
    and drugs and rock and roll??

    regards,
    --le
    ________________________________
    Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
    voice: 416-686-0326
    email:
    net: www.heylloyd.com
    ________________________________
    --
     
    Lloyd Erlick, Mar 30, 2005
    #8
  9. On 3/30/2005 8:15 AM Ken Hart spake thus:

    [...]
    Sheesh; I nominate this for "understatement of the year".
     
    David Nebenzahl, Mar 30, 2005
    #9
  10. Mike Scarpety

    jjs Guest

    Guinness looks a lot like used Rodinal. I say no more.
     
    jjs, Mar 31, 2005
    #10
  11. I think Guinness is the perfect developer for brain functions.
     
    Mike Scarpety, Mar 31, 2005
    #11
  12. Mike Scarpety

    Stewy Guest

    There is a strong possibility you will acquire a well-developed set of
    teeth.
     
    Stewy, Apr 1, 2005
    #12
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.