Softbox with contractor's lights?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by William Morrissey, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Has anyone used/adapted a hot-light softbox to a contractor's-style
    halogen worklight? I'd love to buy a Photoflex setup, but the budget of
    an amateur looking to try out hot lighting just doesn't allow that. I of
    course am not looking to create a safety hazard either.

    William Morrissey, Nov 22, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Before you start take several test shots to make sure that the lights
    don't tint your pictures because the light spectrum is not balanced for
    the film or digital camera your using.
    Robert K. Rouse, Nov 22, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. I, knew the color balance would be off with daylight film, but I
    William Morrissey, Nov 23, 2004
  4. William Morrissey

    JME Guest

    Flashes and softboxes might not be too far out of your price range.
    I bought the 24x36 softbox from to see if they were any
    good. They are a little bit heavier than my others but for the price....
    If you are considering using contractor lights (fixed setting), you could
    use a couple of the mini flash slaves, they are $26 each. Two of them in a
    soft box would give you a good bang for your buck.
    Just an idea..

    JME, Nov 23, 2004
  5. William Morrissey

    Hunt Guest

    Instead of softboxes, I'd suggest that you make diffusion panels, or buy them.
    Calumet Photo offers a very portable set, with different diffusion panels, and
    you can also get their additive & subtractive reflective panels. If you don't
    want to buy, you can build them with 1x2 lumber, and Herculine, or another
    drafting medium tacked to the frame. Rosco also sells diffusion media in many
    sizes, as does BD in Chicago. Make the frames large enough to be able to move
    the lights away, as needed, without firing direct light around the panels. We
    had about 6 4'x8' panels, plus 4 4'x4' panels in the studio. There were also a
    complete set of Calumet portable diffusion panels, which used PVC tubes, and
    had different media, all with elastic bands for the corners.

    Hunt, Nov 23, 2004
  6. William Morrissey

    Rob Novak Guest

    I use halogen worklights for table-top work, and I use a frame with
    diffusion panels of white sheeting. I imagine you could adapt a
    softbox attachment to a worklight, but I'd be leary of the heat
    issues. The rig I use has a frame to which I can attach fabric
    panels, or drape in fabric, through which I light my subject.

    For hot-light work on a larger scale, I set up a couple of lighting
    stands (you can get good Manfrotto stands relatively inexpensively if
    you get them used, and know where to look), slap a couple of 1/2"
    dowel rods into some lighting clamps, and stretch heavy-duty white
    nylon panels between them. Basically, they're quick-n-dirty lighting

    An 80B filter or the white balance control on your camera will nicely
    compensate for halogen bulbs in the 500-750W range. 250W bulbs will
    still show a bit warm with an 80B, but that's not always a bad thing.
    Rob Novak, Nov 24, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.