Something like a transparency

Discussion in 'UK Photography' started by Richard, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest


    I'm seeking to figure out whether I can take a digital picture, then
    from that produce something akin to a 35mm transparency (but much
    larger), to put in front of a light box. Of course, what you then get is
    something like illuminated signage that you see on the high street.

    Now, to me (not being a photographer) what I think I'm seeking to create
    is a very large transparency, although technically this might not
    strictly be true. I think though you get the drift of what I'm after.

    The only idea that I have is to try to print my picture on acetate with
    a regular colour printer that can print on acetate. But who knows if
    this will work. Light is to pass through the item made.

    Some firms might be able to do what I want. Firms who do signage.

    Any ideas? Thanks.
    Richard, Feb 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Use transparent OHP sheet for Ink-Jet printers and see if that is OK for you.
    It's no more difficult than ordinary printing. Only you can say if the ink
    makes it too dark or not. Think about reversing the picture and turning the
    final copy around to save the print from damage.
    John Cartmell, Feb 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Richard

    Tony Polson Guest

    You have already received several replies indicating Ilfochrome
    (formerly Cibachrome) transparencies. BPD Phototech charge £21.00 for
    a 500 x 400 Cibachrome print. 900 x 600 costs £38.20. A transparency
    will cost a little more. You should really ask BPD:

    Tel: 01925 821281

    I have a local supplier who provides me with large inkjet prints up to
    A1 size, but when I dropped by today he told me he has never done a
    transparency. He can get the film, and the printer is capable of
    doing transparencies, but he has no idea what the results would be
    like. As he has to buy a whole roll of film he isn't inclined to try
    - in case it doesn't work and he is left with a roll of film he cannot
    sell - and I cannot blame him.

    The only alternative I can suggest is a large flatbed inkjet printer.
    I have seen reasonably good transparencies on 'acetate' film from
    large format Canon BubbleJet printers, but that was several years ago.
    Whether they would be good enough for your purpose I don't know, but
    you never told us what your purpose was, and I'm not psychic.


    If it is any help, all the large transparencies I have seen at the
    many exhibitions I have attended have been Cibachromes. They are of
    sublime quality, and have a life in the order of several decades.
    Tony Polson, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Richard

    Bernard Peek Guest

    There are inkjet printers that can handle prints up to the size that you
    find on bus-shelters. They can print on transparent or translucent vinyl
    stock. That's probably the easiest way to get a large-format
    transparency from a digital image. If you have a traditional film image
    then scanning and printing it is probably the simplest way to get a
    transparency. Home inkjet printers will give you prints up to about A3
    size. If you want something bigger than that then you probably need one
    of the larger commercial printers.

    Talk to a commercial printer about getting your images printed onto
    transparent stock. If you want to be able to print your own pictures
    then talk to one of the companies that make large-format inkjet
    printers, HP would be a good place to start. Expect to pay lots of money
    for the printer and consumables.
    Bernard Peek, Feb 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.