Sony FX1 or Sony Z1U or Panasonic HMC-150?

Discussion in 'Professional Video Production' started by Tony, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Tony

Tony Guest

I have a video production business for nearly 15 years. I started doing weddings and then parties
    and events and then Music videos and Biographies. Nothing you would see in the movies or tv but have
    made me a good chunck of money from local customers.

These days, it is a side business (I work in IT in a large hospital). I want to do a few more
    projects (mostly documentary) and am looking to finally go into HD. I am excited to go to tapeless
    format such as Panasonic AG-HMC150 AVCCAM as opposed to HDV (Sony FX1 \ Z1U).

Here are my choices....

The Panasonic AG-HMC150 AVCCAM. It seems to have all of the features I want except I am leary about
    the quality. It only has 960 res sensors and is upressing to 1080. That cannot look as good as HDV,
    correct?

Sony FX1 - I can get my hands on a unit that has never been used for $2400.

Sony Z1U - I can buy one for $3000 with nearly no use on the drums at all other than to record live
    to PC (in other words, no drum hours, only operational hours where the unit was turned on).

So, is the Z1U worth $600 more than the FX1 simply because it has XLR jacks instead of mini plug? I
    know there are a few other features but does the cost justify the difference?

Whichever you choose to be the better deal above, how do they compare to the Pana quality-wise? Has
    anyone did a side by side comparison between the Sony's and the Pan? My main concern is dealing with
    tape's transport system parts breaking down and AVCHD's image quality and tough to edit compression
    (even with my Quad Core I7, 6GB, 4x 1TB, Dual HDM1 VGA system).

Thanks.

Tony

Tony, Jun 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Tony

ushere Guest

avoid avchd at all costs - a bugger to edit.
    no pro audio in
    if you're serious about doco's and the like, you need good audio. if
    not, the fx1 is just as good

ushere, Jun 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question