Sony replacing TRV 950?

Discussion in 'Professional Video Production' started by Steve Piper, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Steve Piper

Steve Piper Guest

Dear All,

I've recently been looking for a new camcorder, whilst I want high quality images I don't want something like an XL1 to lug around with me everywhere, and so have been looking at the Sony TRV950 and to a lesser extent the Canon XM2 (still a little too big for my liking as I already have access to an XL1 if I need it).

I spoke to a Sony dealer recently who besides being totally rude did mention they plan to replace the 950 with an upgrade which probably will utilise the progressive scan mode (or whatever it's called) that is in the TRV60.

So, can anyone help me out, is it worth waiting for this upgrade or is the 950 sufficient as it is (I wouldn't for example want to hang on for an upgrade similar to the one the XL1S which seemed minimal at best)? Has anyone else heard of this upgrade or when it might happen ("after September" was the answer I got from the ever helpful Sony man), any rumours, knowledge, or info much appreciated!

Cheers

Steve Piper
    Managing Director
    Coffee Films
    www.coffeefilms.com

Coffee Films is a trading name of Coffee Arts and Media Ltd, registered in England and Wales no. 4672034, registered office 85a Tonbridge Road, Maidstone, Kent, ME16 8JN

Steve Piper, Aug 16, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. I spoke to a Sony dealer recently who besides being totally rude did mention they plan to replace the 950 with an upgrade which probably will utilise the progressive scan mode (or whatever it's called) that is in the TRV60.

Why would Sony replace the 950 when they have only just introduced it?

Anthony Gosnell

anthony.gosnell, Aug 16, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. Steve Piper

Krazy Kanuk Guest

Why would Sony replace the 950 when they have only just introduced it?

Anthony Gosnell

....cause they're Sony!

Krazy Kanuk, Aug 16, 2003
  4. Why is the web site for your company www.coffeefilms.com so strewn with pop-up ads?
    Dear All,

I've recently been looking for a new camcorder, whilst I want high quality images I don't want something like an XL1 to lug around with me everywhere, and so have been looking at the Sony TRV950 and to a lesser extent the Canon XM2 (still a little too big for my liking as I already have access to an XL1 if I need it).

I spoke to a Sony dealer recently who besides being totally rude did mention they plan to replace the 950 with an upgrade which probably will utilise the progressive scan mode (or whatever it's called) that is in the TRV60.

So, can anyone help me out, is it worth waiting for this upgrade or is the 950 sufficient as it is (I wouldn't for example want to hang on for an upgrade similar to the one the XL1S which seemed minimal at best)? Has anyone else heard of this upgrade or when it might happen ("after September" was the answer I got from the ever helpful Sony man), any rumours, knowledge, or info much appreciated!

Cheers

Steve Piper
    Managing Director
    Coffee Films
    www.coffeefilms.com

Coffee Films is a trading name of Coffee Arts and Media Ltd, registered in England and Wales no. 4672034, registered office 85a Tonbridge Road, Maidstone, Kent, ME16 8JN

Charles Tomaras, Aug 16, 2003
  5. Steve Piper

Steve Piper Guest

Sorry about that; we have only recently set up as a company and to my shame our site is still on free webspace, the site is moving over to proper hosting next month, and an end to pop ups!

Cheers,

Steve Piper
    Why is the web site for your company www.coffeefilms.com so strewn with pop-up ads?
    Dear All,

Cheers

Steve Piper
    Managing Director
    Coffee Films
    www.coffeefilms.com

Steve Piper, Aug 16, 2003
  6. Steve Piper

David Winter Guest

Steve - likely that the TRV60 replaces the TRV50 - single chip. Market churn
    11-12 months.

First I've heard of a TRV950 3CCD makeover. The 900 ran a very long season,
    as did the VX1000.

We don't normally expect Sony to cycle their 3CCD units annually - more like
    a 3-4 year churn. Not enough volume to amortise the development costs in
    less than that.

But JVC and Pan have raised some of the antes, and it would follow that Sony
    might put out an additional model to fill the gaps and keep the $$s flowing.

DW

Sorry about that; we have only recently set up as a company and to my shame
    our site is still on free webspace, the site is moving over to proper
    hosting next month, and an end to pop ups!

Cheers,

Steve Piper
    Why is the web site for your company www.coffeefilms.com so strewn with
    pop-up ads?
    Dear All,

I've recently been looking for a new camcorder, whilst I want high
    quality images I don't want something like an XL1 to lug around with me
    everywhere, and so have been looking at the Sony TRV950 and to a lesser
    extent the Canon XM2 (still a little too big for my liking as I already have
    access to an XL1 if I need it).

I spoke to a Sony dealer recently who besides being totally rude did
    mention they plan to replace the 950 with an upgrade which probably will
    utilise the progressive scan mode (or whatever it's called) that is in the
    TRV60.

So, can anyone help me out, is it worth waiting for this upgrade or is
    the 950 sufficient as it is (I wouldn't for example want to hang on for an
    upgrade similar to the one the XL1S which seemed minimal at best)? Has
    anyone else heard of this upgrade or when it might happen ("after September"
    was the answer I got from the ever helpful Sony man), any rumours,
    knowledge, or info much appreciated!

Cheers

Steve Piper
    Managing Director
    Coffee Films
    www.coffeefilms.com

Coffee Films is a trading name of Coffee Arts and Media Ltd, registered
    in England and Wales no. 4672034, registered office 85a Tonbridge Road,
    Maidstone, Kent, ME16 8JN

David Winter, Aug 21, 2003
  7. Steve Piper