Sony - still cameras

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Me, Aug 27, 2009.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the "must
    have" killer feature - HD Video.
    Perhaps they saw the results...
     
    Me, Aug 27, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Me

    Charles Guest

    Charles, Aug 27, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Me

    Miles Bader Guest

    Alan Browne <> writes:
    > That's being kind. Sony will inevitably add video as it not only
    > "competes" with everyone else but complements their home video
    > offerings. Perhaps they're trying to solve the AF-while-recording issue
    > first.


    Hmm, wouldn't video _compete_ with their home video offerings...?

    -Miles

    --
    Virtues, n. pl. Certain abstentions.
     
    Miles Bader, Aug 28, 2009
    #3
  4. Me

    Me Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > Me wrote:
    >> Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the
    >> "must have" killer feature - HD Video.
    >> Perhaps they saw the results...

    >
    > That's being kind. Sony will inevitably add video as it not only
    > "competes" with everyone else but complements their home video
    > offerings. Perhaps they're trying to solve the AF-while-recording issue
    > first.
    >

    Perhaps some maker will come up with an slr with removable prism,
    replaceable with a good EVF for movie or mirror-up still shooting. Even
    a clip-in (to flash mount) EVF fed from HDMI-out port would be miles
    ahead of trying to compose hand-held using a rear LCD. At least that's
    the case with camera lens combinations around 1kg and more.
     
    Me, Aug 28, 2009
    #4
  5. Me

    Miles Bader Guest

    Me <> writes:
    > Perhaps some maker will come up with an slr with removable prism,
    > replaceable with a good EVF for movie or mirror-up still shooting.


    It'd be cool, but such things definitely seem to be out of fashion these
    days, even in mega-priced FF land...

    -Miles

    --
    Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
    beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?
     
    Miles Bader, Aug 28, 2009
    #5
  6. Me

    Miles Bader Guest

    "R. Mark Clayton" <> writes:
    > Didn't some early SLR's come with removable prisms, so that you could use
    > them with a screen like an old twin lens reflex?


    Nikon did with the F - F5 models, Canon with the F-1, Pentax with the
    LX, ... and lots of medium format cameras have interchangeable finders.

    Sadly this idea appears to have fallen out of favor in the digital age...

    -Miles

    --
    x
    y
    Z!
     
    Miles Bader, Aug 28, 2009
    #6
  7. Me

    Bruce Guest

    On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:07:34 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"Me" <> wrote in message
    >news:h77a06$75q$...
    >> Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> Me wrote:
    >>>> Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the "must
    >>>> have" killer feature - HD Video.
    >>>> Perhaps they saw the results...
    >>>
    >>> That's being kind. Sony will inevitably add video as it not only
    >>> "competes" with everyone else but complements their home video offerings.
    >>> Perhaps they're trying to solve the AF-while-recording issue first.
    >> >

    >> Perhaps some maker will come up with an slr with removable prism,
    >> replaceable with a good EVF for movie or mirror-up still shooting. Even a
    >> clip-in (to flash mount) EVF fed from HDMI-out port would be miles ahead
    >> of trying to compose hand-held using a rear LCD. At least that's the case
    >> with camera lens combinations around 1kg and more.

    >
    >Didn't some early SLR's come with removable prisms, so that you could use
    >them with a screen like an old twin lens reflex?



    Not only "early" SLRs, but all Nikon F{single digit} 35mm SLR cameras
    right up to the relatively recent F5 (1996-) had this.

    I never owned an F5 but owned one F, one F3 and two F4 bodies over the
    years and I greatly valued this feature. I would almost certainly buy
    a Nikon DSLR with interchangeable viewfinders, as I consider Live View
    to be a wholly inadequate replacement.

    Other 35mm film SLRs with interchangeable viewfinders included the
    Canon F-1 and Pentax LX.
     
    Bruce, Aug 28, 2009
    #7
  8. Me

    pat_holmes Guest

    On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:36:01 +0900, Miles Bader <> wrote:

    >"R. Mark Clayton" <> writes:
    >> Didn't some early SLR's come with removable prisms, so that you could use
    >> them with a screen like an old twin lens reflex?

    >
    >Nikon did with the F - F5 models, Canon with the F-1, Pentax with the
    >LX, ... and lots of medium format cameras have interchangeable finders.
    >
    >Sadly this idea appears to have fallen out of favor in the digital age...
    >
    >-Miles


    This is why many people enjoy the flexibility of a reticulated LCD. Or in
    the case of some earlier Sony cameras, the whole body was hinged to the
    lens/sensor assembly so you could angle the LCD and EVF at any required
    angle you needed. I much preferred that when wanting to use the EVF for
    framing and focusing, but the wider range of viewing angles from a
    reticulated LCD has its own huge benefits. Now if they could only bring
    back the hinged body and also put a reticulated LCD on it, that would be
    the best of all worlds. Though I do think, for maximum use, a wireless and
    detachable high-resolution EVF that could be worn as a heads-up display
    over one eye would be the best of all solutions.
     
    pat_holmes, Aug 28, 2009
    #8
  9. Me

    Bob Larter Guest

    R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    > "Me" <> wrote in message
    > news:h77a06$75q$...
    >> Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> Me wrote:
    >>>> Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the "must
    >>>> have" killer feature - HD Video.
    >>>> Perhaps they saw the results...
    >>> That's being kind. Sony will inevitably add video as it not only
    >>> "competes" with everyone else but complements their home video offerings.
    >>> Perhaps they're trying to solve the AF-while-recording issue first.
    >>>

    >> Perhaps some maker will come up with an slr with removable prism,
    >> replaceable with a good EVF for movie or mirror-up still shooting. Even a
    >> clip-in (to flash mount) EVF fed from HDMI-out port would be miles ahead
    >> of trying to compose hand-held using a rear LCD. At least that's the case
    >> with camera lens combinations around 1kg and more.

    >
    > Didn't some early SLR's come with removable prisms, so that you could use
    > them with a screen like an old twin lens reflex?


    I've got an old, manual Nikon SLR with a removable prism. You get an
    amazingly bright image on the focussing screen, in comparison to the
    view through a DSLR prism.

    --
    W
    . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
    \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
    ---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------
     
    Bob Larter, Aug 28, 2009
    #9
  10. Me

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:41:56 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:07:34 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"Me" <> wrote in message
    >>news:h77a06$75q$...
    >>> Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>> Me wrote:
    >>>>> Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the "must
    >>>>> have" killer feature - HD Video.
    >>>>> Perhaps they saw the results...
    >>>>
    >>>> That's being kind. Sony will inevitably add video as it not only
    >>>> "competes" with everyone else but complements their home video offerings.
    >>>> Perhaps they're trying to solve the AF-while-recording issue first.
    >>> >
    >>> Perhaps some maker will come up with an slr with removable prism,
    >>> replaceable with a good EVF for movie or mirror-up still shooting. Even a
    >>> clip-in (to flash mount) EVF fed from HDMI-out port would be miles ahead
    >>> of trying to compose hand-held using a rear LCD. At least that's the case
    >>> with camera lens combinations around 1kg and more.

    >>
    >>Didn't some early SLR's come with removable prisms, so that you could use
    >>them with a screen like an old twin lens reflex?

    >
    >
    >Not only "early" SLRs, but all Nikon F{single digit} 35mm SLR cameras
    >right up to the relatively recent F5 (1996-) had this.
    >
    >I never owned an F5 but owned one F, one F3 and two F4 bodies over the
    >years and I greatly valued this feature. I would almost certainly buy
    >a Nikon DSLR with interchangeable viewfinders, as I consider Live View
    >to be a wholly inadequate replacement.
    >
    >Other 35mm film SLRs with interchangeable viewfinders included the
    >Canon F-1 and Pentax LX.


    Then there was/is the Topcon
    see http://historical-cameras.blogspot.com/2008_11_01_archive.html

    and http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/topcon.htm



    Eric Stevens
     
    Eric Stevens, Aug 28, 2009
    #10
  11. Me

    Pete D Guest

    "Miles Bader" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Me <> writes:
    >> Perhaps some maker will come up with an slr with removable prism,
    >> replaceable with a good EVF for movie or mirror-up still shooting.

    >
    > It'd be cool, but such things definitely seem to be out of fashion these
    > days, even in mega-priced FF land...



    If this is an important feature for you there is at least one half decent
    D-SLR that will output HD video via HDMI during video capture, others may
    have it as well. The built in 3 inch screen is actually pretty good for
    this.
     
    Pete D, Aug 29, 2009
    #11
  12. Me

    marco Guest

    Me schreef:
    > Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the "must
    > have" killer feature - HD Video.
    > Perhaps they saw the results...


    Why would you consider HD video to be a killer feature ?

    --
    ============================================================================================
    MWG van de Bildt

    email:
    www.photooz.com
    ============================================================================================
     
    marco, Aug 29, 2009
    #12
  13. Me

    No One Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    news:h76t52$k13$...
    > Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the "must
    > have" killer feature - HD Video.
    > Perhaps they saw the results...


    Sony makes video cameras! I recall a Sony Executive stating Sony could do
    video in their SLRs but it's not up to Sony's Quality yet.
     
    No One, Aug 31, 2009
    #13
  14. Me

    No One Guest

    "marco" <> wrote in message
    news:4a99a877$0$183$4all.nl...
    > Me schreef:
    >> Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the "must
    >> have" killer feature - HD Video.
    >> Perhaps they saw the results...

    >
    > Why would you consider HD video to be a killer feature ?
    >

    Because he believes everything a marketing weasel tells him. He probably
    buys a new car every year too...
     
    No One, Aug 31, 2009
    #14
  15. Me

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:07:03 -0400, "No One" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Me" <> wrote in message
    >news:h76t52$k13$...
    >> Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the "must
    >> have" killer feature - HD Video.
    >> Perhaps they saw the results...

    >
    >Sony makes video cameras! I recall a Sony Executive stating Sony could do
    >video in their SLRs but it's not up to Sony's Quality yet.
    >
    >

    My Sony 707 could do video, not that I ever used it.



    Eric Stevens
     
    Eric Stevens, Aug 31, 2009
    #15
  16. Me

    Me Guest

    No One wrote:
    > "marco" <> wrote in message
    > news:4a99a877$0$183$4all.nl...
    >> Me schreef:
    >>> Sony release a whole bunch of new dslrs, and none of them have the "must
    >>> have" killer feature - HD Video.
    >>> Perhaps they saw the results...

    >> Why would you consider HD video to be a killer feature ?
    >>

    > Because he believes everything a marketing weasel tells him. He probably
    > buys a new car every year too...
    >
    >

    Why would you believe that when I say '"must have" killer feature' that
    I mean it?
    Chill out - take an irony tablet.
    One of my cars is 21 years old.
     
    Me, Sep 1, 2009
    #16
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Elie A Shammas

    Who still uses MF cameras?

    Elie A Shammas, Sep 10, 2003, in forum: 35mm Cameras
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    914
    Alan Browne
    Sep 13, 2003
  2. daniel d

    Digital still cameras + External HDDs

    daniel d, Oct 19, 2003, in forum: Australia Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    486
    Gurrie
    Oct 21, 2003
  3. Susan P
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    619
    Kevin McMurtrie
    Jul 31, 2006
  4. kosh

    microdrive.... still cameras and JVC

    kosh, Oct 29, 2005, in forum: Australia Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    388
  5. Bob Fleischer
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    523
    Ray Fischer
    Feb 7, 2010
Loading...