sparkler effect

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Daniela Dürbeck, Sep 24, 2011.

  1. Daniela Dürbeck, Sep 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

  2. Daniela Dürbeck

    Carrie Guest

    I am going to try some things, but I wonder if it's a brush? Put on after
    the letters. Or, maybe a font, looks more like fiber (yarn) than sparkle.
    But, I'm more like you, I see something like this and try and find it and if
    I can't, ask around.
    Carrie, Sep 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

  3. Daniela Dürbeck

    hank Guest

    Not to be mean, but why not try to create this "effect" yourself? For
    years and years I've looked at these newsgroups and read hundreds of
    posts asking about this 'plug in' and this 'filter', but- well, there
    are people, myself included, who actually sit down in front of our macs
    or pcs and create things, not spend hours on the web or in newsgroups
    looking for shortcuts. Make something new! Make something old! Learn to
    use the software! It's not rocket science, believe me.
    hank, Sep 30, 2011
  4. Daniela Dürbeck

    Carrie Guest

    I didn't ask about it, I was going to try and create it myself and see if I
    And, if someone else already figured it out, why not ask and get the answer
    and save time?
    Carrie, Oct 2, 2011
  5. It was not Carrie, actually it was me who asked. And believe me, I would
    not have asked, if I had the slightest idea how to make it. But, OK, I
    must confess that I am not a Photoshop professional, I am just a
    Software developer who likes to use Photoshop in her spare time.

    So perhaps you have a rough idea how this effect can be achieved? It
    would be also helpful if you told that similar effects can be applied to
    fonts using e.g. brushes, like Carrie thought. I do not know.

    Greetings from Dani
    Daniela Duerbeck, Oct 3, 2011
  6. Daniela Dürbeck

    Carrie Guest

    I sometimes put "free fonts" in google and look over the pages, and
    download interesting ones. You would have to look over them (the samples) or
    maybe put in "free fonts, fiber look". You called it sparkly, but I thought
    more of fiber. I like fonts and also I enjoy a challenge. I'm not reallly a
    Photoshop expert, either, so Im always learning something new. I think
    people who tell you things like create it yourself or figure it out probably
    just have no idea what the answer is, and don't want to bother finding out.
    These forums are started and here to help people with questions. I used to
    go on the MS Publisher one and people on there would patiently answer the
    same questions (or similar) over and over and over. And try and help me when
    I couldn't figure something out.
    If people don't know the answer and don't want to comment in a positive
    way, why bother writing anything.
    Carrie, Oct 3, 2011
  7. No, I didn't search for a font with this effect, because the posted
    example is a font where the effect was afterwards somehow applied to.
    "Please note: the wispy effect in the illustrations were applied to
    characters from the font but is not part of the font itself."
    The font itself can be seen here:
    So the exciting thing is indeed the effect and not the font itself. :)
    I was lacking the correct word. In German we call things that make such
    effects "Wunderkerzen".
    If you "write" with such a Wunderkerze into the dark and take a photo
    with long exposure time you get photos with exactly this effect:
    So looking at the real photos you can see that the artistic effect
    applied to the font in the first mentioned picture is pretty much the same.
    Here is an example how these Wunderkerzen look when not lighted:
    In this shop they are called "sparklers", so I thought this would be the
    correct name. Do you know a better english word for them?
    But they are not "electric", they are lighted with fire.
    LOL. :)))

    Greetings from Dani
    Daniela Duerbeck, Oct 8, 2011
  8. Just to say that, from a UK viewpoint, the word 'sparkler' was
    absolutely clear to me. Glad to have learned the Deutsch! ;-)

    Michael J Davis, Oct 8, 2011
  9. Daniela Dürbeck

    Carrie Guest

    I don't always know the answer, but sometimes comment (hopefully in a
    positive way) because sometimes the person asks and no one even comments on
    it. Maybe they will in time. Sometimes I make a guess (and state this)
    sometimes I, too would like to know the answer.
    That's interestingthe "Wunderkerzen". Even though it's German it sounds
    like what it looks like.
    I call those things you light and they sparkle "sparklers" too. They have
    some kind of powered gun power lightly attached to them not compressed to
    explode but just to burn with that effect. I don't know of a better word.
    I don't understand what those pictures you posted are made from? Oh, I
    think I see, someone holds the lit sparkler and draws the picture with the
    camera on, taking the picture of it? "Write with a Wunderkerze/sparkler"
    like in the air in the dark.
    We mainly have these in stores and people have them around 4th of July-
    Independance Day.
    Opening the lens at night and taking a picture of a car (headlights or
    tailights) coming along a road also gives an effect.
    I did think the sparkly looking font was plain font with something added
    to it. I have paint brushes in PS that look like that (effect)
    Carrie, Oct 9, 2011
  10. Daniela Dürbeck

    Carrie Guest

    Me, too, and doesn't Wunderkerzen sound just like what it is?
    Carrie, Oct 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.