Stamp & ink

Discussion in 'Darkroom Developing and Printing' started by Lew, Mar 24, 2009.

  1. Lew

    Lew Guest

    I just bought a self-inking stamp so as to put some id & copyright info
    on my prints (rc for now). The ink can still be wiped off with my finger
    over a day later. What kind of ink should I be using & who supplies such?
    Lew, Mar 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  2. Lew

    K W Hart Guest

    Here's the problem: The ink on your self-inking stamp (or stamp pad) does
    "dry", it soaks in. You need an ink that does actually dry, such as a
    "Sharpie" brand marker. If you want to use a rubber stamp, get a catolog
    from Porter's Camera Store in Cedar Falls, Iowa, and find the stamp pads and
    ink made for RC paper. It ain't cheap, and it dries out. Plus you also need
    the solvent to periodically clean your rubber stamp. (The Porter's catolog
    is a goldmine of photo odds and ends, I have dealt with them and recommend
    them. Their prices are not great, but service is very good. I have no
    employment connection with them.)

    If you absolutely want to use your self-inking stamp (or standard stamp pad
    ink), you could try stamping the print and then pressing the prints between
    layers of newspaper. After a couple days, the newspaper will have soaked up
    the 'excess' ink and a faint imprint will have soaked into the RC print.

    Another alternative you could try is to use a laser printer or copier to
    imprint the info on the back. This type of printer or copier uses heat to
    melt toner into the paper. Couple of problems come up: (1) You are usually
    limited to 8x10 (actually 8 1/2" wide). (2) Depending on the printer/copier,
    the heat may damage the print. (3) Depending on the printer/copier, the
    internal rollers may damage the print, (4) Depending on the printer/copier,
    the thickness of the paper may prevent it (the machine) from making enough
    heat to completely melt the toner (Although some printers have a setting for
    thick papers).and it will rub off. Wasn't that the problem you started

    In my studio, I use a Sharpie to handwrite the neg number on the back of the
    print, and use a hot-stamping machine (google "Veach Company") to 'sign' the
    front of the print. The hot stamp machine uses old-style metal type in a
    heated holder to 'melt' gold leaf into the surface of the print.

    Hope this is helpful and not too discouraging!
    K W Hart, Mar 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.